Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

460 black alloys

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
stevegsmith

460 black alloys

Post#1 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:30 pm

What do you guys think?
Attachments
gwheels_silver.jpg
gwheels_black.jpg

martin

Re: 460 black alloys

Post#2 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:38 pm

I think you're illegally parked ...

stevegsmith

Post#3 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:27 pm

martin wrote:I think you're illegally parked ...

:lol:
only by 25% mr. smarty pants.

jonathan joseph

Post#4 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:51 pm

Steve

I don't know what to think. I am planning on switching to white when I paint my truck in the near future. I'm torn over the wheel color. Black seemed like it would be cool but I'm not sure. I might be leaning towards leaving them silver. If they were steel I might do white like the Swiss workers.

Jonathan

I assume that is your truck? Not photoshopped or anything?

stevegsmith

Post#5 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:37 pm

Jonathan,
Yeah, that's my truck with the silver alloys and interior trimmings from your red 280 shell (the blue tape on your B pillars was put their by me).
The black on the alloys in the second pic are photo shopped. They're still silver.
I had steel wheels and went back and forth between white, silver, and black until I finally caved and sold the wheels to my buddy Jeff (jjgeier) after deciding that I wanted alloys after all. Jeff has them on his brown LWB now and they look great (especially since he has spacers to accommodate the flares). He is going to have them repainted stock silver.
I like the white wheels on a new swiss worker. I think white would look weird on any other color G.
Silver pretty much goes with everything. Black looks cool, but the truck has to have the right look to pull it off (the darker the better). I love the atik wheels but I'm not sure they work on the 460 nor do I have the money to throw at them if so.
Anywho, this little exercise is just to gather food for thought. I'm more or less happy with silver. Just haven't seen too many black alloys in this style. I'm kind of thinking the silver is best. Got to admit, I'm so tempted to bust out the black spray paint though. Since my truck has so much black trim I'm thinking I could get away with it. Still border line though.
ss
p.s. Your are peering into the mind of a father of a 4 and 2 year old. Photoshopping wheels black is as close to reality as it may ever be. That is the feeling for the moment anyway.

DesertStar

Post#6 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:21 pm

Steve, the silver colored alloys look the best in my opinion...although I am a bit biased for correctness when it comes to the 460 or any other vintage Benz to have the "proper" wheels fitted for it's particular vintage.
I remember back in the 60's and 70's when all the domestic steel wheels on pickups and suvs which most had white painted steel wheels from the factory.
Now,contrary to what I just stated, I would love to have a set of silver steel wheels widened to 8" to compliment the factory installed fender flares....that, to me, is the "true" 460 look.
MiKe

Adoni

Post#7 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:03 pm

Steve,

I'm glad you told us it was photo-shopped, now I don't feel bad. My G as you know is white too. I've often wondered how the truck might look with black wheels, even contemplated the rattle can once or twice. Now, however, I really believe the G looks best with the silver wheels just as Mike (D-Star) says. I could see maybe an anthracite but I have to say the contrast is just too great on the 460 G. I've seen white cars pull off the black rim, sometimes even with a chrome or matte lip, but at this point, it's kinda like putting lipstick on a pig when it comes to the good ole 460. Mike's red 460 Mike look pretty sweet with black wheels though...

Gelande

Post#8 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:23 am

I think they look better in their original alloy silver

if you want black ones, get a set of black porsche fuchs for your winter setup or something like that

parts heaven east bay swap meet coming up in may!

Jwestpro

Post#9 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:51 am

I think there is to much contrast in the photos ;)

inkblotz

Post#10 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:29 pm

How about this. ;)
Attachments
Steve's GHK.jpg

Return to “Tech: Wheels and Tires”