Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Another One Of Those Contentious Tire Threads ...

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Indiana Drew

Another One Of Those Contentious Tire Threads ...

Post#1 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:24 am

I almost hate to do this, but I have not seen an MT/AT tire topic-ed thread for a a while ... At the risk of having someone take his (or her) ball and going home mad, here goes ... :twisted:

Has anyone had experience with: Goodyear MT/R Kevlar or DuraTrac, Interco SS-M16 or SSR TSL, Firestone MT, Yokahama Geolander M/T to name a few. Feel free to throw other brands into the mix.

For me, at least for now, both Gs are DDs and both will ideally end up with 33"-34" tires on 16" rims. I like the idea of interchangeability. One already is on 6.5x16 Hutchinsons and the other will likely end up on 7.5x16. Gearing, rim width, lift or no lift aside just thoughts and experiences on tires would be really valuable - oh and the location of Jimmy Hoffa's body ... ;)

Dai C

Re: Another One Of Those Contentious Tire Threads ...

Post#2 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:48 am

Drew, I am running a set of these General AT's on one of the Dodge Cummins pickups in a load range E. They are excellent and very close to the BFG/AT's. Better siping, the traction is the same I would say given what I do with the truck. Might be slightly better on the road in the wet. They cost less and I wanted to give my local tire guy the business. Just rotated them without a balance and they are smooth. They wear very evenly like the BFG/AT's. Very sturdy.

http://www.generaltire.com/tires/T5/Grabber-ATsup2-sup

-Dai

Indiana Drew

Post#3 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:16 am

I have Wrangler MTR 245/70 16s on the Hutchis and they were on the G500 when new. They road better and were not much louder then the stock tire/wheel combo. I have had Generals before on an ML.

reinhardtius

Post#4 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:13 pm

Indiana Drew wrote:I have Wrangler MTR 245/70 16s on the Hutchis and they were on the G500 when new. They road better and were not much louder then the stock tire/wheel combo. I have had Generals before on an ML.

I have the Goodyear MT/R's on my G. They are 35's and have about half if not a tiny bit more than that in tread left on them. They are great for rocks and dirt. I don't go in the mud with my truck, but I can tell you that they perform great on rocks and dirt. They are pretty loud on the highway, can still hear them nicely even with my 3" straight pipe exhaust.

The BFG MT's were an awesome tire. I had them on my white 300GD swb and they worked very well in the mud, rocks, dirt, logs...etc etc. They were quiet on the highway (235/85/16) and didn't notice too much difference in my gas mileage.

Another option would be to run an BFG AT tire in a larger size (34 or so)

Good luck!

Indiana Drew

Post#5 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:08 am

Indiana Drew wrote:I have Wrangler MTR 245/70 16s on the Hutchis and they were on the G500 when new. They road better and were not much louder then the stock tire/wheel combo. I have had Generals before on an ML.

To amend my comment - I did not have those Generals on the ML. The look well engineered. I recall having sidewall issues with the stock Generals (probably '98) but that, I'm sure is not the norm at least in the AT2.

Return to “Tech: Wheels and Tires”