Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

OM617 rebuild (or rings)?

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Fernando BR

Re: OM617 rebuild (or rings)?

Post#31 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:13 pm

Thats nice to have the original engine , 300GD is made to last , you know you will arrive....it can takes one more our. Look at the mountains.....Avoid highways , search the small roads. Oil? I only use 15w 40 -100% mineral on it.

ff499

Post#32 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:48 am

Hi, The best oil for my 602 diesel in a 250GD is 15W-40 Royal Purple synthetic oil sold in Wall Mart I was using a qt every 500 miles since I switch to Royal Purple it stop using it and I can change it at 10,000 miles. Fred
Attachments
image.jpg

Flanker525

Post#33 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:02 pm

Dude wrote:Symptoms: Burns ~ 1 liter of oil every 500 km. Poor compression (tested with a cheap harbor freight gauge on a hot engine, #330, #340, #340, #340, #310). Always needs a glow plug cycle to start, even warm.

Not to hijack this thread but I just did my own compression test and wanted to post the results for comparison.

1 320 PSI
2 360
3 380
4 360
5 365/370

These numbers were done on a hot engine with a Peachparts ordered 1000 psi compression tester.

My symptoms however are the opposite of Dudes. Mileage is hard to say but definitely over 100,000 miles. Starts every time even without glow plugs after it's been running. It burns some oil but nowhere near as much as Dudes (But it sure leaks a lot more....) The biggest difference is that i'm way down on power.

vadimivanovich

Post#34 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:41 pm

Flanker, The first order of business is your fuel supply - make sure your tank screen, primary filter and secondary filters are all new/clean. You might need to bypass/replace a fuel supply/return line here - they can rust from the outside, restricting the interior. Do your valve adjustments ( 1 hour of easy work). Then do your injection pump timing using the drip method (either PeachParts or Diesel Giant). Your primer pump should be the "new type" (black knob) and your overflow lines need to be new fabric covered lines (Eurotruck/Dealer). If you aren't running up to max potential from here, you've missed something. The secondary filter (90-degree) should be free of debris but may safely be dark. Be sure to test with a full tank of Diesel. If problems arise when below 50% you may have a plumbing issue or clogged tank screen (likely with your rust breeder).

Flanker525

Post#35 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:15 pm

vadimivanovich wrote:Flanker, The first order of business is your fuel supply - make sure your tank screen, primary filter and secondary filters are all new/clean. You might need to bypass/replace a fuel supply/return line here - they can rust from the outside, restricting the interior. Do your valve adjustments ( 1 hour of easy work). Then do your injection pump timing using the drip method (either PeachParts or Diesel Giant). Your primer pump should be the "new type" (black knob) and your overflow lines need to be new fabric covered lines (Eurotruck/Dealer). If you aren't running up to max potential from here, you've missed something. The secondary filter (90-degree) should be free of debris but may safely be dark. Be sure to test with a full tank of Diesel. If problems arise when below 50% you may have a plumbing issue or clogged tank screen (likely with your rust breeder).

There is something i'm definitely missing (Most likely at this points its timing)

Fuel tank is brand new and i've bypassed the supply/return lines before (no improvement)
Valve adjustment was done yesterday before the compression test.
Primer pump is the new type as are the overflow lines.

Dude

Post#36 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:37 am

Flanker,

Thanks for posting the numbers.

I finally decided to go the Metric Motors full rebuild route. Its just a question of when. The truck is very much drivable as is and fixing it is more about settling my conscience than addressing any performance deficit. Its a heck of a price to pay for peace of mind.

Dude

Post#37 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:41 am

When was the last time you changed the main fuel filter?

I with the holes in your old tank (presumably from rust) you've got to expect that a fair amount of particulate may have made its way into the filters, but hopefully not into the IP or nozzles.

Flanker525

Post#38 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:47 am

Dude wrote:When was the last time you changed the main fuel filter?

I with the holes in your old tank (presumably from rust) you've got to expect that a fair amount of particulate may have made its way into the filters, but hopefully not into the IP or nozzles.

The main filter? Less then a year old. I rebuilt my injectors with new nozzles last year and also have an extra set just in case (the engine definitely revved more freely after the rebuild so I'm getting somewhere)

With that said my next step is to replace my fuel hard lines. I know that one of them has a small leak so air is getting into the system. Hopefully I can get them installed before winter (Crazy schedule + no garage = prolonged repair times)

vadimivanovich

Post#39 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:48 am

Flanker, if any air at all gets into your fuel lines, you will lose power... lots of power. Another thing to check is your in-tank fuel pickup screen. I believe the diesels have a pickup screen built into the fuel level sender (my recently acquired 350GD tank/sender is this way). Petro-G's have a bung at the bottom of the tank that has a fuel screen attached to it on the inside.

When the screen is clogged, the lift pump has to work very hard to draw fuel out of the restricted screen. Lower RPMs and low-load situations may still seem fine but any time you need max fuel delivery, it just wont be there. On my 617a I have a boost gauge that helped me diagnose a restricted screen. There is normally max boost on the freeway - if not, there's either a turbo problem or fuel delivery problem. Like you, I'd replaced all of the filters already but didn't locate my in-tank screen because it was hidden by my aftermarket tank shield.

I hope you track this down soon. It's been quite a while & you have so much more engine there to enjoy!

cal_w460

Post#40 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:49 am

Does anyone know what happened to Dudes OM617 engine? Did he rebuild it?

He hasn't been here since 2016 I believe but maybe someone knows.

Return to “Tech: Diesel Engines and Conversions”