Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Rough Idle and Smoke on start up

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
AlanMcR

Re: Rough Idle and Smoke on start up

Post#21 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:04 am

G Nome wrote:I have the reamer from when I replaced the glow plugs. I will give it a go. Good call.

Not quite sure what you mean by if it starts better on one cylinder.

What I meant was: If carbon clustered around the plugs is the problem, then the one plug you reamed would be firing better. You have it good with a 617, access to the plugs is easy. On mine plug removal takes work and there is significant risk that the plug will seize and shear off.

G Nome

Post#22 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:20 am

OK. I think I get it. So I ream and retest with the electrical thing and see if I get a different reading on one of the plugs after. Correct?

Thank you for your patience.

AlanMcR

Post#23 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:52 am

G Nome wrote:OK. I think I get it. So I ream and retest with the electrical thing and see if I get a different reading on one of the plugs after. Correct?

Thank you for your patience.

The resistance shouldn't change, but if the end was covered with carbon, the engine will now run better, at least on that cylinder.

vadimivanovich

Post#24 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:59 pm

Kent, if you're not sure how to recognize the improved performance of only once cylinder, just do them all. The 617 is easy and you can pull the plugs, ream them all, and re-install within about an hour. If the cold engine start performance is a lot better, then you know the job helped. No muss, no fuss.

G Nome

Post#25 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:54 pm

OK. Thanks for straightening me out on my confused used of the electrical gadget.

I will see what a good reaming will produce. It does not seem to be running challenged at all so it may take a bit to do a few test runs before I ream and then test again.

Thanks.

I hope my ignorance helps others understand as well.

Kent

Spacestar5

Post#26 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:45 pm

I replaced the glow plugs today in my 606A with no issues thanks to the very helpful and supportive advice in this thread.

D

inkblotz

Post#27 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:03 am

There is a nice write-up on Diesel Giant:
http://dieselgiant.com/glowplugrepair.htm

G Nome

Post#28 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:57 pm

Very helpful.

Thanks Mark.

spuddy300d

Post#29 » Mon May 06, 2019 7:17 am

Mercedessource.com has excellent info on glow plugs.
Essential to ream the carbon from the plug holes prior to installation , helps with rough idle and excessive smoke issues

Return to “Tech: Diesel Engines and Conversions”