Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

fitting auto shifter on a previously manual w460

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
syncro_G

fitting auto shifter on a previously manual w460

Post#1 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:44 pm

I've moved this over from the classifieds because it's turned into a tech thread.
If you're planning or have already put an automatic transmission in your previously manual w460, you might want to read below. the transmission tunnels are different.

Hi,
I'm looking for the automatic shifter and rubber surround from a 460 automatic G.
Let me know if you have a spare you don't mind parting with.

Best Regards, Christian
Last edited by syncro_G on Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: cleanup after moving thread

Chris

Re: WTB: automatic shifter from w460

Post#2 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:20 pm

If nothing turns up your next best option may be one from a w126 with the "B"position at the bottom (same microswitch that 460 shifter box has for "1"position) I had this on my '84 euro 500SEC.

Its function in the passenger car differs from that of the G;
When the passenger car transmission selector is in B, the transmission starts in first gear and wont go to second until you let off the gas pedal or reach the pre-set speed (~10mph?).

When the G transmission selector is in "1", the transmission stays in first no matter what.

Again, these two types of shifter boxes should be interchangeable (may need to re-drill 2 of the 4 mounting holes), all that matters is the microswitch, the business of staying in first has to do with the transmission you are using, Im almost certain a passenger car auto trans CANT stay in first like a G box unless you somehow use G box internals (kick down solenoid, valve body???).

syncro_G

Post#3 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:58 pm

Good to know.
I haven't had a close look at w126 shifters but it looks like the B position is "momentary"
Meaning that you have to hold the lever in that position.
Hopefully someone can confirm that.

Chris

Post#4 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:39 am

syncro_G wrote:Good to know.
I haven't had a close look at w126 shifters but it looks like the B position is "momentary"
Meaning that you have to hold the lever in that position.
Hopefully someone can confirm that.

Negative, the lever clicks over to B and stays there.

syncro_G

Post#5 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:08 am

cool then. I'll keep an eye out for those if the G-wagen shifter doesn't turn up.

syncro_G

Post#6 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:54 am

Ok, I bought an SD shifter off EBay. Hopefully this fits without much trouble. I recall Warren T saying it needed to be shimmed to line up in the console correctly.

The w123 shifter I'm using currently isnt close to lining up.

syncro_G

Post#7 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:26 am

Chris -
The SD shifter looks like it would be a perfect fit except that it interferes with the console.
About 3/4" of the front left corner would have to be ground down in order for it to fit the oval hole. it looks like it's doable without compromising the shifter too much. Is that what you've done?

syncro_G

Post#8 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:16 pm

did a trial fitting today - removed console and fitted the SD shifter.
it's about an inch too low.

so I'm still looking for a G-wagen shifter.

Chris

Post#9 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:33 pm

the automatic equipped cars have an extra sheet metal piece that raises the shifter up about one inch and I think it moves it tward the rear a bit too.

Best picture I can find now is in the russian epc in cross "country vehicle" under "A Body" then select "280GE", then select "60 Body" then select "59101 BODY PARTS USED FOR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION G01/G40".

Hope this helps.

If you cant find this piece anywhere I can make you one fairly easily.

syncro_G

Post#10 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:09 am

Chris wrote:the automatic equipped cars have an extra sheet metal piece that raises the shifter up about one inch and I think it moves it tward the rear a bit too.

Best picture I can find now is in the russian epc in cross "country vehicle" under "A Body" then select "280GE", then select "60 Body" then select "59101 BODY PARTS USED FOR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION G01/G40".

Hope this helps.

If you cant find this piece anywhere I can make you one fairly easily.

mystery solved. Thanks. I'm thinking of fabbing up a piece from a slab of plastic. I just need to figure out how far back to reposition the shifter. height should be easy enough to figure out.

Here's the shifter mounted using the stock manual shifter position. it's way too low and a bit too far forward. also looks like it should tilt back a little.
sd shifter no spacer.JPG
sd shifter without spacer

Return to “Tech: Diesel Engines and Conversions”