Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

300GD Fuel tank....biting the $2,000 bullet?

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
offroad-world

Re: 300GD Fuel tank....biting the $2,000 bullet?

Post#21 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:28 pm

hi flanker .

when i see that kind of dirt i would say a filter cannot keep it all , means dirt is in your IP .
you have to fix everything to get clean diesel , means new lines and a new / different tank without moisture inside .

i have had a customer from denmark at my home 4 years ago , this G has has 770000km on its clock and has had loss power . he wanted to buy a motor from me , this day he piocked up a brand new getrag gearbox , so i made a test drive and the result was a surprise . in the end it was not the motor ...
he let made an IP overhaul and the G is still running perfect at this high milage .

if your 300GD does not have more power with clean diesel i would reffer to an IP overhaul .

mfg. guido .

Dude

Post#22 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:54 am

Guido makes a very good point.

Rebuilding the IP, replacing injectors and filter etc., without addressing the source of the dirty fuel in the first place, is only a temporary fix.

Use a clear pre-filter on the fuel supply line to monitor what goes into your engine. It should look like that nice clean fuel you used in test.

Flanker525

Post#23 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:10 am

offroad-world wrote:hi flanker .

when i see that kind of dirt i would say a filter cannot keep it all , means dirt is in your IP .
you have to fix everything to get clean diesel , means new lines and a new / different tank without moisture inside .

if your 300GD does not have more power with clean diesel i would reffer to an IP overhaul .

This is an interesting assessment. Just for fun I think i'm going to get two more can's of diesel purge and run them through the engine. This time however i'm going to use two bottles. One for the supply and a separate unit for the return as not to bring any of the junk back into the system. (I'll continuously fill the supply from a separate source)

Worst comes to worst I have 2nd injection pump off a 1985 Euro 300D which I can clean up out of the car and just swap in.

offroad-world

Post#24 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:20 am

Flanker525 wrote:
offroad-world wrote:hi flanker .

This is an interesting assessment. Just for fun I think i'm going to get two more can's of diesel purge and run them through the engine. This time however i'm going to use two bottles. One for the supply and a separate unit for the return as not to bring any of the junk back into the system. (I'll continuously fill the supply from a separate source)

Worst comes to worst I have 2nd injection pump off a 1985 Euro 300D which I can clean up out of the car and just swap in.

this sounds good but will not solve the problem as you might know , you have to rebuilt the full system , the breather lines and all hoses look bad , hoses are cheap and easy to fix into position with zip straps .
the diesel tank is your biggest problem as it will rust more and more away . :(

mfg. guido .

Flanker525

Post#25 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:52 am

offroad-world wrote:
this sounds good but will not solve the problem as you might know , you have to rebuilt the full system , the breather lines and all hoses look bad , hoses are cheap and easy to fix into position with zip straps .
the diesel tank is your biggest problem as it will rust more and more away . :(

mfg. guido .

You're right and I just ran 2 cans of purge but i'm still a bit perplexed by something.

I did this test expecting to find loads of junk coming back into the return bottle. On my first run the purge came back just as clean as it went in so I ran it again...and again. Towards the end I pulled the bottle and while the fluid had changed color a bit there were no particles from what I could see (Perhaps the purge only works on the high pressure injectors rather then the pump?)

Flanker525

Post#26 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:17 am

Otiswesty wrote:I have a spare Injection pump off of an om617 300GD motor. Let me know if you need one. It reportedly came off a well running stock motor that was transplanted with an om617a.

Thanks but I already picked up a pump from an 85 300D euro 617NA. It's already proved fruitful to have the 2nd pump to play around with outside of the car.

I will probably be jumping into a check of the lift pump next.

Fernando BR

Post#27 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:22 am

300GD IP is not the same used on 300D n/a sedan. Only if your truck is RHD they are the same.

Flanker525

Post#28 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:03 am

Fernando BR wrote:300GD IP is not the same used on 300D n/a sedan. Only if your truck is RHD they are the same.

Would you happen to know what the differences are?

inkblotz

Post#29 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:22 am

I think they are virtually identical. There should be no issue swapping them out.

M

Fernando BR

Post#30 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:04 pm

Swap the complete IP is one thing. Interchange parts is something one must analize well.

The IP used on 617.931 has M/RSF governor the IP used on 617.912 (sedan) has MW governor (like 617A) . Give a look at manuals and you will see that the parts like IP pump elements are different (diferent part numbers also) and the elements parts are assembled at different order. Sedans ips use to have a pneumatic altitude control (A000 070 44 53) , looks like an AlDA but it only makes altitude correction , so its a different governor system , with different parts.

may be i am wrong.

Return to “Tech: Diesel Engines and Conversions”