Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

OM603 swap here we go!

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
G Nome

Re: OM603 swap here we go!

Post#91 » Mon May 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Would this set up fit the same in 300gd (460) with the stock Automatic?

Glad it is running well. Thanks for a great post.

Kent

spallet

Post#92 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:13 pm

No,,your 300gd transmission has the wrong side for the starter.

G Nome

Post#93 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:15 pm

Thank you.

grazza

Post#94 » Tue May 20, 2014 1:20 am

Awesome shots Locked Up.
What a rig. A G in its natural element.
Thanks for posting and keep 'em coming.

inkblotz

Post#95 » Tue May 20, 2014 3:34 am

If you need a bit more power you can always tweak the ALDA a bit. This will get you up to 80-85mph.
The factory setting is pretty low.
Mark

hus55

Post#96 » Tue May 20, 2014 10:18 am

VERY WELL DONE....

LOVE THE ANACONDA design....

nice G.....

vadimivanovich

Post#97 » Tue May 20, 2014 1:31 pm

Hey Kent, I'm putting the pieces together (finally) to do a 606a/5-speed swap in my 460 next winter... I hope. Keep that or a 603 on your radar - it's do-able, just $$$ You need a lot: different engine, trans, mounts, short-shaft, exhaust connection, intercooler (optional), 603a pump (if using 606a), turbo or a DIY electronic controller, throttle linkage, glow plug relay & harness, shifter/clutch/pp/pilot/linkage, and on and on. The end result should be awesome but take your time and plan it out. I'm not in a rush to tear down my now-dialed 617a, unless I'm completely ready.

Suppatime

Post#98 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:12 pm

vadimivanovich wrote:Hey Kent, I'm putting the pieces together (finally) to do a 606a/5-speed swap in my 460 next winter... I hope. Keep that or a 603 on your radar - it's do-able, just $$$ You need a lot: different engine, trans, mounts, short-shaft, exhaust connection, intercooler (optional), 603a pump (if using 606a), turbo or a DIY electronic controller, throttle linkage, glow plug relay & harness, shifter/clutch/pp/pilot/linkage, and on and on. The end result should be awesome but take your time and plan it out. I'm not in a rush to tear down my now-dialed 617a, unless I'm completely ready.

Vadim, I'm quite excited by this. It looks like we will be doing the same swap within a year timeframe of each other. You have been so helpful to me in getting my G running, I'd love to keep you in the loop with my progress and offer you any wisdom I acquire through my own headaches. PM me your contact info and we can be in touch about it.

And Kent... I'm so sorry it's completely slipped my mind... do you still need that spare wheel I have?

Locked up

Post#99 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:37 am

Update!

Some of you saw and heard my conversion at the Treffen in Tahoe. I was having a cooling issue on long high altitude grades. We discussed adding a remote oil cooler, but what I recently did was add the correct fan shroud. The shroud is still available at the dealer, at about $150. It was missing the rubber flaps that push out of the way when the air flow is greater from the front than from the engine fan. Not a big deal to fab them from rubber sheet material and alu bar stock simply riveted on.

I'm amazed at how much cooler the engine runs now that the shroud is in place.

I'm looking for a #17 or a #22 head now, I just want the peace of mind.

Locked up

Post#100 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:22 pm

Further upadates!

I got a sweet 350GD #18 head from Vadim ( many thanks! ) installed, and now it runs better than ever! The previous head, a #14 definitely had an issue on #3 cylinder. It occasionally misfired and always smoked on start up. This new head gives zero smoke at start up. I guess it helped that I got the IP rebuilt along with the injectors.

I'm also noticing cooler running temps. I still want to add another oil cooler. Anyone seen what the factory uses on a 350GD? I saw a crazy big shroud on German ebay, but I don't know what the actual cooler looks like or how or where it mounts.

Any pics floating around?

Return to “Tech: Diesel Engines and Conversions”