Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

OM603 swap here we go!

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Johnny Christensen

Re: OM603 swap here we go!

Post#101 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:02 pm

It sits behind one of the headlights and have it's own electrical fan. I have a pdf about it that I can post later today

AlanMcR

Post#102 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:25 pm

Johnny Christensen wrote:It sits behind one of the headlights and have it's own electrical fan. I have a pdf about it that I can post later today

Right side headlight. The trick in a 460 is getting air over to it. Look up the 94-2000 G350 and G300 to see how it is all set up with the factory parts. Vadim is also considering creating a similar setup.

vadimivanovich

Post#103 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:46 pm

There's an oil-to-water cooler in the radiator (actually two: one for the engine and the other for the trans), and have seen diagrams of the oil-to-air cooler in the (left?) fender well on later turbodiesel Gs, such as Alan's G300DT. I have not found this cooler in the FSM for a '93 350GD but am very new to searching through it and may have missed something - perhaps it was in later years? I have a fresh engine air intake setup for a 350GD that was installed in the left fender well, suggesting that there was no oil-to-air cooler there.

The idea is to have oil-to-air first, then oil-to-water. This way you have the benefit of dumping the most heat to air, then either dumping more heat to water or benefiting from the coolant warming up the oil in cold situations.

By the way, I'm passing this information along from Alan and Mark who gave me the education during the last Treffen (thank you gentlemen!). I'm trying to figure out how to stuff all of those coolers into a W460 SWB!

Johnny Christensen

Post#104 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:26 am

That should be it.
Attachments
Oil cooler 463.pdf
(327.05 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

AlanMcR

Post#105 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:26 am

Related stuff:
OilCooler.jpg

G300DTIntake2.jpg

OilLowerInside.jpg

Locked up

Post#106 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:10 am

Thanks for the pdf doc. I see how it goes in now! Looks like the shroud vents out of the top of the fender. I don't have a vent there, as my 463 was originally a 300GE. I also have a few items tucked up there, it looks like that oil cooler set up replaces the fender liner.

AlanMcR

Post#107 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:16 pm

Mine has a fender liner in addition to all the parts shown above. It is my opinion that one could skip the plastic housing that interfaces the fan/cooler assembly to the exhaust vent. That would route the exhaust air to the 1cm gap around the fender liner. This should work just fine.

I've been considering doing just that as a way to use the right front "vent" as an engine air inlet.

For you, the trick will be getting air to the front of the cooler.

Locked up

Post#108 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:30 pm

Yup, air flow in there might be an issue. The other spot I was thinking about is in front of the front diff on top of the skid plate.

diesel_jim

Post#109 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:52 pm

^^^ could that not be a bit vulnerable... I've had mud build up on my LR skid plate before in severe situations, could damage the cooler?

AlanMcR

Post#110 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:07 am

You can get MB oil coolers and brackets for that spot. You'd have to check on the pressure rating.
The problem with that area is that you can't put a fan down there.

Return to “Tech: Diesel Engines and Conversions”