Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Restoration Project: 1986 300GD LWB Kastenwagen

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
vadimivanovich

Re: Restoration Project: 1986 300GD LWB Kastenwagen

Post#91 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:11 pm

She's a beaut! Is that really the same G?
"The way you think is the way you live"

Eisenhart

Post#92 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:22 pm

haha thanks Vadim! I'm getting there!

A ton of hard work and perseverance has finally paid off and now my G has officially become my daily driver to work and back. About 25miles highway driving. It'll get dialed in fairly quick now, I hope.

I took care of a bunch of maintenance items this weekend. Changed my engine oil, oil filter, main fuel filter and greased up the driveshafts and knuckles. A few of the zerc fittings on the slider and ujoints were clogged. A bit of heat from my map gas torch remedied the situation haha Makes me wonder when they were greased last...not good. I noticed on my commute today that the driveline vibrations and overall noise seem less prominent.

I also installed my new Frontrunner slimline II roof rack this weekend! I opted for the additional length option 1475mm x 2368mm and tall 190mm legs. Incredibly high build quality and weighs less than 100lbs. I practically doubled my cargo capacity with this beast. Might need to strap down a massive pine tree for the holidays. And I keep on forgetting to take some 'after' pics of my new rebuilt calipers. I'll make it a priority this weekend!
Attachments
IMG_0695-edit.jpg
IMG_0691-edit.jpg

Eisenhart

Post#93 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:53 pm

Here are some photos from my recent offroad exploration trip through some fire roads outside of Buellton, CA. My friend has a 900acre ranch out there. This was my first time offroad in the G and it was quite treacherous when the rain hit and made it all very slick. The G was hardly challenged though, while my friends in their jeeps and chevys got stuck multiple times.

There wasn't any cell phone signal, so our CB radios were quite nice! I recently installed the 5ft antenna and flexed it down so that it was attached to the roof rack. Helped keep it from smacking all the low hanging bushes and trees. There was a lot of that!
Attachments
IMG_7129.JPG
IMG_7131.JPG
IMG_7109.JPG
IMG_7111.JPG

vadimivanovich

Post#94 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:39 pm

I love it! Like brown on a bear...
"The way you think is the way you live"

offroad-world

Post#95 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:24 am

woow , this looks like fun . nice to hear your G made it better than the jeeps even for a rookie .
seems you made it without any damage , perfect G .

mfg. guido .
300GDT OM617A Kastenwagen, 2850mm wheel base
250GDT OM602A Single Cab, 3400mm wheel base , gone to friend Orest

Return to “Tech: Diesel Engines and Conversions”