Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Fuel Tank conversion - W463 -> W460, Gas -> Diesel

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Suppatime

Fuel Tank conversion - W463 -> W460, Gas -> Diesel

Post#1 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:20 pm

Hey guys... been a while...

I got a box from Guido and in it is the fuel sender for the W463 tank. I'm having a hard time removing the old one and finding instructions how to do so online. Any special tool to grab the damn thing? Any ideas on how to do this?

AlanMcR

Re: Fuel Tank conversion - W463 -> W460, Gas -> Diesel

Post#2 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:00 pm

Suppatime wrote:Hey guys... been a while...

I got a box from Guido and in it is the fuel sender for the W463 tank. I'm having a hard time removing the old one and finding instructions how to do so online. Any special tool to grab the damn thing? Any ideas on how to do this?

It is a bayonet mount. That outer crown of turned up sheet metal should be twisted counter clockwise 20-30 degrees. Then it pulls out.
Pull it out SLOWLY, it will be full of fuel which will pee out very slowly through a tiny hole in the bottom. Better to leave the fuel in the tank than all over the trunk and your clothes.

Suppatime

Post#3 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:42 pm

AlanMcR wrote:It is a bayonet mount. That outer crown of turned up sheet metal should be twisted counter clockwise 20-30 degrees. Then it pulls out. Pull it out SLOWLY, it will be full of fuel which will pee out very slowly through a tiny hole in the bottom. Better to leave the fuel in the tank than all over the trunk and your clothes.

You're talking about the top, aren't you? We call them "castle nuts" in my industry.

I'm talking about the sender on the bottom of the tank, which looks like it needs some sort of device I can shove into all 4 round holes (square pattern) and turn to unthread.

The tank is not on the truck yet and has been dry and sitting in my garage for months... I don't think I have to worry about residual fuel too much...

vadimivanovich

Post#4 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:57 am

Drew, I got the package - THANK YOU!

As for the tank - the sender is on top, in the middle. It has 3 bent pipes sticking out of it if you have the W463 diesel tank. The whole metal assembly can be rotated counter-clockwise 20-30 degrees as Alan stated. It will then lift out. I'm not sure what's on the bottom - I don't think mine has anything there, but can't be sure at the moment. IS it possible that you have a W463 gasoline-version tank?

V

AlanMcR

Post#5 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:06 am

Suppatime wrote:
AlanMcR wrote:It is a bayonet mount. That outer crown of turned up sheet metal should be twisted counter clockwise 20-30 degrees. Then it pulls out. Pull it out SLOWLY, it will be full of fuel which will pee out very slowly through a tiny hole in the bottom. Better to leave the fuel in the tank than all over the trunk and your clothes.

You're talking about the top, aren't you? We call them "castle nuts" in my industry.

I'm talking about the sender on the bottom of the tank, which looks like it needs some sort of device I can shove into all 4 round holes (square pattern) and turn to unthread.

The tank is not on the truck yet and has been dry and sitting in my garage for months... I don't think I have to worry about residual fuel too much...

Yes, I'm talking about the top. In the diesel world, the top is also the sender.

NorCalSyncro

Post#6 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:05 am

on the 463 non diesel tank that aluminum piece w/ 4 holes is the pick-up for the fuel line running to the fuel pump. A pin spanner will allow you to remove it.

Cheers,
Duncan

offroad-world

Post#7 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:36 pm

NorCalSyncro wrote:on the 463 non diesel tank that aluminum piece w/ 4 holes is the pick-up for the fuel line running to the fuel pump. A pin spanner will allow you to remove it.

Cheers,
Duncan

hi duncan .

this is what drew has , a gas tank and he got the net , he will use this connection for diesel pick up , which works perfect , i did years ago at a cabrio G i have had .

mfg. guido .

NorCalSyncro

Post#8 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:48 pm

offroad-world wrote:
NorCalSyncro wrote:on the 463 non diesel tank that aluminum piece w/ 4 holes is the pick-up for the fuel line running to the fuel pump. A pin spanner will allow you to remove it.

Cheers,
Duncan

hi duncan .

this is what drew has , a gas tank and he got the net , he will use this connection for diesel pick up , which works perfect , i did years ago at a cabrio G i have had .

mfg. guido .

That makes sense, I figured the gas/diesel tanks were probably the same, just no fuel pump on the diesel set up.

Cheers,
Duncan

Suppatime

Post#9 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:21 am

vadimivanovich wrote:Drew, I got the package - THANK YOU!

As for the tank - the sender is on top, in the middle. It has 3 bent pipes sticking out of it if you have the W463 diesel tank. The whole metal assembly can be rotated counter-clockwise 20-30 degrees as Alan stated. It will then lift out. I'm not sure what's on the bottom - I don't think mine has anything there, but can't be sure at the moment. IS it possible that you have a W463 gasoline-version tank?

V

You're welcome, Vadim! I might need to buy your 8-bolt flange from you... I took it to the shop and was going to reinstall on my transmission when I pulled your CV, but it's nowhere to be found right now.

I'll respond to everyone about the tank and what I'm removing in a moment, but yes, I have the 463 gas tank.

Suppatime

Post#10 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:21 am

Cheers,
Duncan

This is what I need... an adjustable pin spanner. I haven't been able to find one locally, but it probably helps having the actual name for the tool.

Return to “Tech: Diesel Engines and Conversions”