Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Fuel Tank conversion - W463 -> W460, Gas -> Diesel

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
vadimivanovich

Re: Fuel Tank conversion - W463 -> W460, Gas -> Diesel

Post#11 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:54 pm

Harbor freight has one, and you can guess how helpful it will be. Here are a bunch more:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#pin-wrenches/=vwv52p

Suppatime

Post#12 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:40 am

Bringing this back to life...

Are any breathers necessary to fully convert the fuel tank? I'm going to be moving on this sooner than later it seems...
Filmmaker, Musician, Car Nitwit
Hollywood, CA USA

1980 Mercedes 300GD SWB - OM606/5-speed "Puchy"
2003 Mercedes C32 AMG "Dolores"- FLOODED AND TOTALED
2015 Kia Soul - BOOOOOOOO

AlanMcR

Post#13 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:04 am

Perhaps this helps a bit? There are several breathers at the top of the tank. They get tied together and then to the highest breather on the filler tube. Without these interconnections the tank won't fill completely when on a slope. I'm not sure where the external vent gets plumbed in. On mine that vent was plumbed into a tip-over valve (above the right rear wheel). The other side of the valve had two tubes. One went up near the right rear corner cabin air exhaust, and the other to a metal tube that terminates in the cavity below the right taillight.
G290-1.jpg
...Alan

Suppatime

Post#14 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:52 am

AlanMcR wrote:Perhaps this helps a bit? There are several breathers at the top of the tank. They get tied together and then to the highest breather on the filler tube. Without these interconnections the tank won't fill completely when on a slope. I'm not sure where the external vent gets plumbed in. On mine that vent was plumbed into a tip-over valve (above the right rear wheel). The other side of the valve had two tubes. One went up near the right rear corner cabin air exhaust, and the other to a metal tube that terminates in the cavity below the right taillight.
G290-1.jpg

Alan, that's super helpful so thank you. Down side is when I purchased my new fuel tank, it came bare (and set up for a gas G with the internal fuel pump). I'm going to have to gut it and source all the breathers from MBUSA it seems.

I found this:

http://www.mbpartsworld.com/showAssembl ... gory=24396

But unfortunately the diagram isn't showing up on my computer right now, so I don't know exactly what I need or not...
Filmmaker, Musician, Car Nitwit
Hollywood, CA USA

1980 Mercedes 300GD SWB - OM606/5-speed "Puchy"
2003 Mercedes C32 AMG "Dolores"- FLOODED AND TOTALED
2015 Kia Soul - BOOOOOOOO

vadimivanovich

Post#15 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:24 am

Drew, one or both of your SWB bodies will have a cannister of sorts inside the right rear interior corner of the cab, behind the window. The breather lines basically all join and go there. Very simple. Don't go overboard buying all kinds of expensive MB doodads that you can live fine without, IMO
"The way you think is the way you live"

AlanMcR

Post#16 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:05 pm

Agreed. It is just low-pressure plumbing, nothing special. Find some hose and connectors that are diesel proof and have at it. The metal MB tube that runs side-to-side is kind of rust prone anyway. I'd go with copper. That might help to kill algae that likes to breed in that spot.
...Alan

Gpanzer

Post#17 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:48 pm

Hi AlanMcR
Do you have any more pictures of the frame you can send to me??

Tony

AlanMcR

Post#18 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:19 pm

That is the best picture that I have. There is a video of the production line that might shed some light.
...Alan

mogwild

Post#19 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:50 am

What diagram are we looking for?

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
-trev

AlanMcR