Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

How do you guys start diesels in cold weather?

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
RussG

Re: How do you guys start diesels in cold weather?

Post#21 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:17 pm

AlanMcR wrote:Does the 95 E300 have the same fuel system o-ring setup as the later models? If so, they are notorious for leaking air into the system. It may be that the deep cold has shrunk some of the o-rings and is letting in a bit of air. If leakage is suspected, re-orient the nose of the car downhill, the steeper the better. Not easy if it doesn't run, I know.

Either way, if they aren't relatively new, replace them all with Viton o-rings.

Hi Alan,
How many O rings are there and where are they?

Also the behavior described in the OP is exactly how mine runs when a glow plug fails, very lumpy and lots of white smoke. One failed at the weekend so I have that joy to face this week. It's like Russian roulette, will it come out or snap :?

vadimivanovich

Post#22 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:02 pm

This is the set that fixed my 1998 E300 turbodiesel. Check to see if your non-turbo still has the same hoses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-w210-E-300-Fuel-Hose-SET-6-pcs-to-Feed-Pump-Filter-Shut-off-Valve-/151902522487?hash=item235e188c77:g:NiwAAOSwp5JWXqZK&vxp=mtr
"The way you think is the way you live"

G Nome

Post#23 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:30 pm

Russ,

These may be the numbers you need for the fuel lines. They are the ones for a stock 606a 1998 fuel filter housing system.

I just happened to have these and took photos now as they will be going back to the dealer. I will be changing to a 603a fuel filter housing for my conversion so no point in installing these.

Hope this helps.

Kent
Attachments
IMG_4960.JPG
IMG_4959.JPG
IMG_4958.JPG
IMG_4957.JPG
IMG_4956.JPG
IMG_4955.JPG
Kent
If you need help...I usually have extra zip ties and duct tape.

AlanMcR

Post#24 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:01 pm

Yes, then there are some more o-rings around the tiny coarse fuel filter next to the fine fuel filter in the main filter block. And the o-rings around each delivery valve in the IP. The latter will generally show signs of weeping if they are leaking.
The whole design is an abomination. I'm generally a tolerant guy, but I sincerely hope that whoever signed off on that design was fired.
...Alan

Return to “Tech: Diesel Engines and Conversions”