Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

How do you guys start diesels in cold weather?

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Suppatime

How do you guys start diesels in cold weather?

Post#1 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:58 pm

Pretty self-explanatory. I'm not in my G (still nowhere near done, sigh) but am up in the Colorado mountains with my girlfriend and her 1995 E300 Diesel (figured I'd learn the ins and outs of the OM606 before throwing one in my truck), and while we put in some winterized Diesel during the last fill-up, the old gal is having trouble firing up in this snowy wonderland at 9000 ft.

Glow plugs are taking about 30-45 seconds to warm, engine cranks normally, turns over, fires for a second then dies. I haven't tried messing with the block heater, which is my next resort if I can find it (I know it's an option.... didn't know if this car came with one).

What do you guys do to start in snowy, freezing temperatures?
Filmmaker, Musician, Car Nitwit
Hollywood, CA USA

1980 Mercedes 300GD SWB - OM606/5-speed "Puchy"
2003 Mercedes C32 AMG "Dolores"- FLOODED AND TOTALED
2015 Kia Soul - BOOOOOOOO

Chris

Re: How do you guys start diesels in cold weather?

Post#2 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:21 pm

If the compression is good on all cylinders and all glow plugs work, starting should start to get really difficult around 35'F, any colder and a block heater plugged into an extension cord is required (or webasto/espar aux heater).

When parking In freezing temps, the hot engine won't need to be plugged in for at least 8hrs, park any longer and you'll have to plug in for at least 20 mins before starting.
IG: #traildustrestoration

G Nome

Post#3 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:45 pm

If the glow plugs are good then the block heater is the next step. It is on the back passenger side on the block of the engine. If it is not there there will be a plug.

If the block heater is not there I would go in and buy a magnetic block heater (below) that you can plug in and attach where convenient if you have an extension cord and access to power. This will need longer than 20 minutes as it is only 200 watts.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/Kat's-2 ... oCT-7w_wcB
Kent
If you need help...I usually have extra zip ties and duct tape.

vadimivanovich

Post#4 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:55 pm

Maybe I'm more redneck than you guys... starting fluid work magic in cold weather :)

It also doesn't hurt to bring the battery inside overnight so it has more juice when you need it.
"The way you think is the way you live"

AlanMcR

Post#5 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:37 am

I've had good luck the few times I've had the G300 in cold weather. The coldest was when it was left overnight at 0F & 6200ft. The battery was new and it was full of winterized diesel, but I had my doubts about getting it started. Two glow cycles followed by cranking until it fired on all cylinders. It felt like forever, but was probably about 15 seconds of cranking. After that the ECU idle control kept it running. It was very grumpy and didn't want to move for few minutes.
...Alan

Suppatime

Post#6 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:42 am

Thanks for all of this guys. I've scoured many MB and diesel truck forums, and these few posts here have been infinitely more helpful than any of the others. All of your info is great, and might help other users in time of need.

Before yesterday, the coldest ambient temp I tried to start either my G or my girlfriend's E-class was 35F. Yesterday was 0F.

Based on this trip, I believe two of her glow plugs may be starting to fail (I hear cyls 1-2 are often culprit) but fully-winterized diesel in the last 2 tanks took away 90% of the rough idle, and even so, it was only rough for about 10 seconds before evening out.

Battery and all fluids are good and this OM606 had no issues before the road trip (still doesn't, when it's warm). I've done 2-3 glow cycles at most and cranked, but the engine would fire after about 6 rotations at most... the problem then is that it would die.

Kent, thanks for the location... I'll get underneath today to find it.

Chris, the car's been sitting for 24 hours under about 6 inches of snow, so I'll dig it out and give it another go.

Vadim, I thought that would be a good idea, but I don't feel like disassembling the air box.

Alan, this might be the best advice yet... I might continue cranking a bit after it fires that first time... I also heard depressing the accelerator slightly might send just a bit more fuel to prevent stalling again.

We'll see... worst case, I have AAA.
Hollywood, CA USA

G Nome

Post#7 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:52 am

You should be able to see the block heater from above. No need to snow dive.
Kent
If you need help...I usually have extra zip ties and duct tape.

AlanMcR

Post#8 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:23 am

Does the 95 E300 have the same fuel system o-ring setup as the later models? If so, they are notorious for leaking air into the system. It may be that the deep cold has shrunk some of the o-rings and is letting in a bit of air. If leakage is suspected, re-orient the nose of the car downhill, the steeper the better. Not easy if it doesn't run, I know.

Either way, if they aren't relatively new, replace them all with Viton o-rings.
...Alan

vadimivanovich

Post#9 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:07 pm

Drew,, definitely don't be shy about giving it some throttle to keep it running. My E300 OM606a is grumpy below freezing but evens out in under 10 seconds at 1200 RPM.
"The way you think is the way you live"

Suppatime

Post#10 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:04 pm

We made it back to civilization!

Kent: You're right. After doing some research, it seems 1995 was the first year the block heater cable (Edison plug) was standard. Found the receptacle in front of the radiator by the passenger headlight. I plugged it in for about 30 minutes and got a jump (as the battery was very low) and she cranked right up... with some issues described below.

Alan: Yes, the '95 E300 Diesel has the same o-rings as the later OM606-powered E class (and I'd assume both the G and S classes). I had parked the vehicle downhill for both the location of the sump and for the drive home. The E300 billowed white smoke for the first few minutes of operation and idle was extremely rough. Seems there were multiple issues going on: foremost, the extreme cold that this California car probably wasn't used to, which shrunk the O-rings causing a slight leak until warm (I assume they expanded again, because as soon as I hit 80C on the thermostat, everything behaved as normal. But I also believe one or two of the glow plugs are on their way out, partially based on the extremely rough idle from first start (idled like a seriously-cammed Mopar engine for a bit) and the fact that there was un-combusted fuel spitting out the exhaust pipe until warm. I could smell the unburned fuel as I was watching a cloud of white smoke overtake nearby cabins (sorry neighbors).

Vadim: I gave it some throttle but not too much, as I'm terrified of the very cold oil not circulating properly before giving it a load... I have no desire to grenade a motor, and I know oil starvation is a good way to do it. After it warmed up to about 40C, then I gave it some more fuel, and by 80C, I gave it hell.

I hope this helps people with their future endeavors in the cold... I can't believe there isn't a serious checklist on any of the MB forums for this... it's always "choose the right diesel" and "block heater" but no further troubleshooting.

That said, I'll absolutely be purchasing the block heater cable from Mercedes and installing on my G when my OM606 is in... an absolutely necessary piece for traveling in weather below 25F.
Hollywood, CA USA

Return to “Tech: Diesel Engines and Conversions”