Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

How do you guys start diesels in cold weather?

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
vadimivanovich

Re: How do you guys start diesels in cold weather?

Post#11 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:12 pm

Drew, the glow plugs either work or they don't. Think of them as light bulbs. You can check resistance between each plug tip and ground. If any are more than about 10 ohms, they are bad.

Air in the fuel system can be a real drag. I just replaced all of the fuel hoses on my E300 - did the trick, but it had become very hard to start in the morning when it was leaking air - and would drive-sputter-drive-sputter for a while even after starting. After about 5 minutes it was fine. I got the whole fuel hose kit on eBay for about $120 for new MB parts.

Glad you made it home safe!
"The way you think is the way you live"

G Nome

Post#12 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:23 pm

Sweet! Well done.

The fuel smell could be coming from the bad connections as well. There are several. More than needed really as there is a fuel heater in line as well. 603 fuel filter housing will clean up this mess of funky fittings.

Great test Drew. Safe travels buddy.

Kent
Kent
If you need help...I usually have extra zip ties and duct tape.

AlanMcR

Post#13 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:09 pm

It may be that the glow plugs are fine but that they are buried in hardened soot. Pull the glow plugs and ream the glow plug passages. There is a special reamer for that and it isn't too expensive.
Important: Always pull the plugs when the engine is very warm to hot. Seized plugs are an ongoing problem with the OM606 4V head. If you do snap one off, there is a fix for that too.
...Alan

inkblotz

Post#14 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:54 am

In all mercedes diesel motored vehicle manuals in the fuel section there is a starting in extreme cold weather section MB recommends the use of 1. winter grade diesel then 2. Adding Flow Improvers you can generally find these at most auto parts stores, gas stations (I've seen them at Walmart), 3. Kerosene (max 50%) or if kerosene is not available then 4. Unleaded REGULAR Gas (max 20%) may be used.

G Nome

Post#15 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:09 am

Interesting thought to read the manual. Pretty extreme Mark.
Kent
If you need help...I usually have extra zip ties and duct tape.

VolvoC303

Post#16 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:05 pm

Sounds like a glow plug issue, at least partially.

Synthetic oil, like Redline or Amsoil works wonders in cold.

I always have a diesel additive in my fuel which boosts cetane and keeps diesel moving better, both really help.

A couple squirts of starter fluid into the air cleaner just before cranking usually works when all else fails.

Another emergency tool is a hair dryer. Point it on high at the injection area for 15min.

AlanMcR

Post#17 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:39 pm

VolvoC303 wrote:Another emergency tool is a hair dryer. Point it on high at the injection area for 15min.

Also useful as an intake air pre-heater.
...Alan

Rutherfoto

Post#18 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:33 pm

This is a great thread!

I just experienced my first "extreme" cold start in my 1990 GD300. It was 8F here in New England a few days ago. Three glow plug cycles, and my G started. It had a rough idle, but eventually smoothed out. Sounds like I should be grateful its starts in that cold temp with no winter diesel, heater, ect.

Does anyone have a preferred vendor for Webasto style heaters? I am going to install one as I travel a lot, and not always near power for a block heater.
Jonathan Rutherford
www.rutherfoto.com
1990 300GD
1987 HJ75 Land Cruiser
2015 Toyota Land Cruiser

Suppatime

Post#19 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:30 pm

inkblotz wrote:In all mercedes diesel motored vehicle manuals in the fuel section there is a starting in extreme cold weather section MB recommends the use of 1. winter grade diesel then 2. Adding Flow Improvers you can generally find these at most auto parts stores, gas stations (I've seen them at Walmart), 3. Kerosene (max 50%) or if kerosene is not available then 4. Unleaded REGULAR Gas (max 20%) may be used.

Yep. I didn't mention that because I read it and did what I could out of it... meaning I had a full tank of winterized diesel and tried starting multiple times before posting here. Kind of hard to get to an auto parts store or a gas station when you're stuck on a ranch at 9,000 feet.

G Nome wrote:Interesting thought to read the manual. Pretty extreme Mark.

:lol: Sassy.

VolvoC303 wrote:Sounds like a glow plug issue, at least partially.

Synthetic oil, like Redline or Amsoil works wonders in cold.

I always have a diesel additive in my fuel which boosts cetane and keeps diesel moving better, both really help.

A couple squirts of starter fluid into the air cleaner just before cranking usually works when all else fails.

Another emergency tool is a hair dryer. Point it on high at the injection area for 15min.

I think it's a glow issue as well... they're likely covered in soot. A reamer is in order, which I'll eventually need to buy for my truck anyway.

Interesting to note about synthetic oil... I've only used dino oil in older engines... so synthetic isn't ok for the OM617 but it is for the OM606?

AlanMcR wrote:It may be that the glow plugs are fine but that they are buried in hardened soot. Pull the glow plugs and ream the glow plug passages. There is a special reamer for that and it isn't too expensive.
Important: Always pull the plugs when the engine is very warm to hot. Seized plugs are an ongoing problem with the OM606 4V head. If you do snap one off, there is a fix for that too.

Agreed. Not my car, but I'll let my girlfriend know she needs them reamed. I'm aware about removing them when they're hot. Someday, I'll actually have to start my OM606, but it's still on a pallet.
Filmmaker, Musician, Car Nitwit
Hollywood, CA USA

1980 Mercedes 300GD SWB - OM606/5-speed "Puchy"
2003 Mercedes C32 AMG "Dolores"- FLOODED AND TOTALED
2015 Kia Soul - BOOOOOOOO

inkblotz

Post#20 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:06 am

Interpreted the initial question as: How do you guys PREPAIR your diesels for starting in
snowy, freezing temperatures?

Just being informative not extreme. :D

Return to “Tech: Diesel Engines and Conversions”