Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Black Aluminum Diamond Plate

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
hus55

Re: Black Aluminum Diamond Plate

Post#51 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:04 pm

looks good...!

rgds hus

Indiana Drew

Post#52 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:25 pm

ontum wrote:Diamond plate? I think it would make it look like a land rover. Isn't the purpose of those plates to reduce sun glare? I haven't heard of anyone having this problem on a G. I also think it would devalue your G because potential buyers wouldn't want them. Just my 2 cents. Be sure to post pictures if you do the mod.

-
Craig

My blue and yellow SWB came with diamond plate on the fender tops and the center section of hood. I don't know that it did much to reduce glare ... :ugeek: It was affixed with some adhesive and pop rivets on the fenders and what looked like construction adhesive and rivets on the hood.

If you decide to do it, the above mentioned method with the pure silicone and no rivets sounds as good as any ... Just make sure its not a permeant solution to a temporary feeling ...

JohnNWG

Post#53 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:59 pm

I like the full coverage under the turn lamp. I hope to do something similar to my G in the future. I'm planing on doing the center section on the hood as it was warped in a engine fire. I think a walk on hood would be a nice feature. With reinforcements of course.

G500Pur

Post#54 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:04 am

I built a pair of duet tread plate fender tops out of 2.5.4.0 mm aluminum plate from Offroad World. My first cut I accidentally made 2 left sided plates and we got some more tread plate sent over to finish the project. So I cut 2 right sided plates with the new sheet and sold off the extra set to Tommy for his 2003 G500. I really wanted full coverage and I feel that it came out pretty well, just as I was looking for. The indicators had to move inward slightly so as to not hang over the edge. Easy mod.

I like the duet tread plate more than the typical Euro 5 point. It is the same that is used on the ORC roof access ladder that I have on the rear of the Gwagen as well.

A view from above on our trip last October shows how nice they look and reflects the influences of the Pur edition in the ongoing redesign of my G500.
Attachments
FromAbove.jpg
TommysFender.jpg
DuetFenderTop.jpg

G Nome

Post#55 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:03 am

Looks real nice Eric.

Thanks for posting the pics.

kent

offroad-world

Post#56 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:41 am

good what you made out of these big metal plates .

mfg. guido .

Otiswesty

Post#57 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:03 pm

jonathan joseph wrote:I like the idea of wrapping the plate down the side of the fender also, to protect the corner. General consensus on this?

I found these plates for sale that wrap over the edge of the fender if anyone is looking for something like this.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/MERCEDES-G-250- ... Swfhxbh9N~
Attachments
Rolled.jpg
1999 G500, 1997 G300, 1983 280GE

TechMOGogy

Post#58 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:06 am

Kinda cool - link is not working for me however
PUCH IT: 72 Haflinger Pathfinder - 75 Pinzgauer 710M 2.7i - 94 350GDT - 96 Puch 350GDT Worker

Otiswesty

Post#59 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:54 pm

1999 G500, 1997 G300, 1983 280GE

jonathan joseph

Post#60 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:29 am

Just seeing this thread come back to life. I had great intentions of making these plates way back but I look at the dates on the posts and realize it was just weeks before the birth of my twins! Not much has happened since! I still have treadplate and even better fabrication capability these days. Just need to find the time.

Return to “Tech: Body, Chassis, Trim, Paint, Color Codes”