Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

One more time - 460 bumper, MB gray-black color number?

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
schuhe

One more time - 460 bumper, MB gray-black color number?

Post#1 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:34 am

I have searched without total success, the MB color number for bumpers, grill, etc. on the 460s. Thought it was on P3 or the even earlier forum.

I have taken all things gray-black off of my G, and have them ready to go to the powder coating firm locally. They have done this work for me in the past on my 460 Cabrio., and records show that I used a 60% gloss black that was not the MB number. This time I would like to get this correct, and have the proper powder coat color, and some paint mixed for those items that will not be powder coated but which should match this shade of gray-black.

The MB black used is really a gray-black, and we could match by eye, but nothing like the actual, real, intended, proper, and.... reproducible color.

Also, are touch-up and rattle-cans available with that black-gray color?

One last consideration, must radiators be painted with a special radiator paint? Heat transfer, non-clogging of the spaces in the radiator, withstands the elements, weather, heat, bug hits, etc.?

Thanks!

Tom

jmkoz

Re: One more time - 460 bumper, MB gray-black color number?

Post#2 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:08 pm

From memory it is MB 7167 and I think it is available from Wurth in a rattle can.

I hope that this helps

John

EuroTruck

Post#3 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:36 pm

Tom,

John has a good memory.

MB 7167 Tiefdunkelgrau Matt - Deep dark gray matte

Your powder coating contractor should be familiar with MB paint codes and so should a good automotive paint supplier.

I like to use http://color-online.glasurit.com/ You can type 7167 in the "Code" box in the upper left hand corner and hit the enter key to see the MB color name.

Good luck,

-Sean

Dai C

Post#4 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:11 pm

The Seymour MRO flat black (620-1433) is very close and once you paint it, by golly, it is the same!
I used it on the gutter trim and it is just amazing. I like having an off the shelf great paint that can deal with the grille and bumpers over time. Makes it easy to protect paint chips and scuffs without a production. Does the job on stealth wheels as well. I keep it in stock in the cluttered garage.
This great paint is here: http://www.seymourpaint.com/mro_enamels.html
The primers that Seymour recommends, iron oxide, and light grey are both fantastic. Really.
Another data point.
-Dai

schuhe

Post#5 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:32 pm

Thank you all. Very helpful!!

Tom

inkblotz

Post#6 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:50 am

I found a rattle can Dupli-color paint that works perfect for me for various under hood engine parts, grill, bumper all that is semi gloss black on the G.
Like with Dai's suggestion easy touch-up is a rattle away. ;)

Mark
Attachments
_000021.JPG
_000020.JPG

stevegsmith

Post#7 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:03 am

Dai C wrote:The Seymour MRO flat black (620-1433) is very close and once you paint it, by golly, it is the same!
I used it on the gutter trim and it is just amazing. I like having an off the shelf great paint that can deal with the grille and bumpers over time. Makes it easy to protect paint chips and scuffs without a production. Does the job on stealth wheels as well. I keep it in stock in the cluttered garage.
The primers that Seymour recommends, iron oxide, and light grey are both fantastic. Really.
Another data point.
-Dai

I'll second Dai's comments Tom-dawg. He turned me onto the MRO and I've been using it ever since like it's crack. I've painted everything black on my truck with the stuff and I did't stop there. I painted my wife's entire Jeep, then the house, the driveway, the sidewalk, the plants, the old garage, the neighbors cat (that keeps crapping near the fountain) and yes......the children. Like Mark said, touch-up is just a rattle can away!

reinhardtius

Post#8 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:15 am

schuhe

Post#9 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:39 am

stevegsmith wrote:
Dai C wrote:The Seymour MRO flat black (620-1433) is very close and once you paint it, by golly, it is the same!
Another data point.
-Dai

I'll second Dai's comments Tom-dawg. He turned me onto the MRO and I've been using it ever since like it's crack. I've painted everything black on my truck with the stuff and I did't stop there. I painted my wife's entire Jeep, then the house, the driveway, the sidewalk, the plants, the old garage, the neighbors cat (that keeps crapping near the fountain) and yes......the children. Like Mark said, touch-up is just a rattle can away!

Oh No!!? Not the kids!!? The neighbor's cat - fine. I can see that. But the off-spring??!! Why did I think immediately of the character who played Baby Face Nelson in Oh Brother Where Art Thou? the moment I read your note, SS? I think the classic line there included: "Jesus saves, but George Nelson withrdraws!" This line was followed by a bust of fire from his 45 caliber rattle can... I mean, Thompson Submachine gun.

inkblotz

Post#10 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:56 am

I love that movie. :D

M

Return to “Tech: Body, Chassis, Trim, Paint, Color Codes”