Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Black Aluminum Diamond Plate

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
offroad-world

Re: Black Aluminum Diamond Plate

Post#41 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:30 am

ontum wrote:Guido- Do they use the "Bond and Seal" from wurth?

sorry , i did not check which Würth item was included , the box has been sent last week .
Würth has good products .

mfg. guido .

hus55

Post#42 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:11 pm

jonathan joseph wrote:Guido,
Looks nice but mine will "wrap" the corner and have a milled flat area for the turn signal and hole for wiring. Also I will include appropriate adhesive from 3M so no screws.
Working on CAD drawings now and a reply from the hopefully 1st. customer.
Sent you a PM.

Jonathan

this sounds good jonathan ! when do we see a sketch,or the real thing ? ;)

rgds hus

schuhe

Post#43 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:30 pm

Guido,

Those look like my fender items. I think they will fill my need. While I believe Jonathan's idea is great - the rolled edge to cover the fender would be an advantage, I really need only to have the top of my fender covered. My application needs have to do with light work on vehicle, and when camping and needing a place to put things. I doubt that I will step on the fender, and never on the hood. The anti-reflective aspects of diamond plate may be another reason for doing the covers.

Thank you Guido for your help with this ORC item.

Cheers!

Tom

jonathan joseph

Post#44 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:35 am

Eric
Using the proper adhesive, properly applied, there will be no water intrusion. While it seems like a good idea to allow air under there I think given the tolerances (what kind of space would be created by the adhesive tape? Its available in various thicknesses all measured in the thousandths of an inch) I think you'd most likely have condensation under there much of the time. Also creating to much of a space would allow flex and increase the likelihood of the plate scratching the paint of the fender.
I would completely seal the perimeter of the the plate and also the perimeter of the wiring hole so any moisture that came through the less than perfect seal on the base of the turn signal would be no more significant than usual.

Just my opinion, but I do glue things together that are meant to keep water out for a living.

Jonathan

offroad-world

Post#45 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:52 am

schuhe wrote:Guido,

Those look like my fender items. I think they will fill my need. While I believe Jonathan's idea is great - the rolled edge to cover the fender would be an advantage, I really need only to have the top of my fender covered. My application needs have to do with light work on vehicle, and when camping and needing a place to put things. I doubt that I will step on the fender, and never on the hood. The anti-reflective aspects of diamond plate may be another reason for doing the covers.

Cheers!

Tom

hi tom .

they are on the way to your address , you will like them for your needs .
i think you will not jump on your fender or do a hard offroad trip .

mfg. guido .

offroad-world

Post#46 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:53 am

Otiswesty wrote:Hi Guido, nice door! I did not see your post previously... :D
I think we were out in the canyons of NE Oregon

yeah , just joking a little bit .

mfg. guido .

jonathan joseph

Post#47 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:11 pm

Hus,
Sketch will come soon. Real thing a little later. The material has to travel a long way.

Jonathan

schuhe

Post#48 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:43 pm

offroad-world wrote:
schuhe wrote:Guido,

Cheers!

Tom

hi tom .

they are on the way to your address , you will like them for your needs .
i think you will not jump on your fender or do a hard offroad trip .

mfg. guido .

Your are likely correct, guido. Looking forward to putting them on the fenders.

Tom

hus55

Post#49 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:43 am

jonathan joseph wrote:Hus,
Sketch will come soon. Real thing a little later. The material has to travel a long way.

Jonathan

looking forward to them both...

;)

offroad-world

Post#50 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 pm

Otiswesty wrote:This was one of my Spring projects, getting this finished up. Came out pretty nice IMO. I like the full coverage and decided to leave the plate unmolested under the indicator which proved pliable enough to mold over the duet ridges. I stuck it down with some lengths of 3M emblem foam tape along the long edges. This way there will be no moisture trapping as there is airflow through the 1-1.5 mm deep space.

Very solid with little weight added. The duet sheets were supplied by Guido and are 2.5/4 mm aluminum plate.

nice result .
you have let powder coated them ?

mfg. guido .

Return to “Tech: Body, Chassis, Trim, Paint, Color Codes”