Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Black Aluminum Diamond Plate

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
offroad-world

Re: Black Aluminum Diamond Plate

Post#21 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:23 pm

Otiswesty wrote: I would rather custom one myself, but am looking for the euro diamond plate.

this is easy done , :lol:

mfg. guido .
Attachments
9129_1.jpg
9129_1.jpg (27.78 KiB) Viewed 631 times
Last edited by offroad-world on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

autonovice

Post#22 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:30 pm

Otiswesty wrote:Found this in the web links sticky above
http://www.4x4camp.de/4x4camp_Zubehoer_Mercedes_G.htm

I would rather custom one myself, but am looking for the euro diamond plate.

I prefer for the plate wrap the corner, and ends around 5cm.

offroad-world

Post#23 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:19 pm

Otiswesty wrote:Found this in the web links sticky above
http://www.4x4camp.de/4x4camp_Zubehoer_Mercedes_G.htm

I would rather custom one myself, but am looking for the euro diamond plate.

hi eric .

something knocked at my door on today .

mfg. guido .
Attachments
CIMG5965.JPG

hus55

Post#24 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:23 am

great ! guido is now going to fabricate the chequer plate fender covers.

i think the fender covers should have a slight curve along the edge in contour with the bodywork. this way it would look very original to the G .

jonathan joseph

Post#25 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:33 am

Funny, we talked about this I think on the "other" forum years ago. I worked very hard at trying to find the "five bar" European style plate in the US. Called at least five different national metal distributors to no avail. Only option was to buy and ship some from Europe which seemed ridiculously expensive. I gave up.
It would make much more sense if someone like Guido could fab them and ship them. SHipping something 4'x8' over seas costs.

Jonathan

grazza

Post#26 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:04 pm

That sounds like a great idea! I'll take a black set Guido, shipped down under. cheers mate. :mrgreen:

Just kidding...

Perhaps someone who perfects the design can post up a template, which can be printed to 100% for easy cutout.

autonovice

Post#27 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:32 pm

I have interest for 3 -4 pairs! With the conditions ...
1) The plate must contour w the fender like Huss mentioned but not too low to interfere w the vent
2) The plate must snug fit around the turn signal rubber so it will semi seal it too.
3) The plate should start from edge to edge front to back and close to the hood.
4) Must be black or dark color
5) Option for antenna mounting holes?

hus55

Post#28 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:06 am

i think if guido can get this done it would be great but i feel guido is not that much involved in fabrication.

for this type of work two names come to mind...

firstly axel606 [mike]

secondly , and i think in terms of material and labour costs being lower , cartop [mehmet] from turkey.

lets see what comes of this....

rgds hus.

offroad-world

Post#29 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:36 am

hus55 wrote:i think if guido can get this done it would be great but i feel guido is not that much involved in fabrication.

firstly axel606 [mike]

secondly , and i think in terms of material and labour costs being lower , cartop [mehmet] from turkey.

rgds hus.

i have a cutting mill company near by i can ask but it makes only sense to let make them if it is a bigger lot and not 10 plates only , if it is a small series they all must have the same design , so somebody should make the design .
i think the blinker and blinker grilles are the difficulties as some have blinker grilles mounted and some not . if the plates have been powder coated it must be drilled before . if there are square holes for the blinkers dirt can get between and this can be later a rust problem . how to mount onto the fender ? best will be to tape it down instead of drilling .
maybe autonovice can make a sketch of it . the material itself is not so expensive , the shipping of this big sized items is expensive .
if there is interest i can try and figure out costs and let manufacture them .

mfg. guido .

hus55

Post#30 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:00 pm

offroad-world wrote:
hus55 wrote:i think if guido can get this done it would be great but i feel guido is not that much involved in fabrication.

firstly axel606 [mike]

rgds hus.

i have a cutting mill company near by i can ask but it makes only sense to let make them if it is a bigger lot and not 10 plates only , if it is a small series they all must have the same design , so somebody should make the design .
i think the blinker and blinker grilles are the difficulties as some have blinker grilles mounted and some not . if the plates have been powder coated it must be drilled before . if there are square holes for the blinkers dirt can get between and this can be later a rust problem . how to mount onto the fender ? best will be to tape it down instead of drilling .
maybe autonovice can make a sketch of it . the material itself is not so expensive , the shipping of this big sized items is expensive .
if there is interest i can try and figure out costs and let manufacture them .

mfg. guido .

hi guido.

mounting the bonnet indicators and optional grills on the chequer should not create a problem i think.

using silicon along the edges would be the best way of fixing them on the wing.should prevent rust too, if done properly.

as mentioned , the edge should be rolled down but not too much . just sitting above the side air intake found on the 461 and 463. if autonovice could make a sketch it would be a great starting point.

Return to “Tech: Body, Chassis, Trim, Paint, Color Codes”