Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Black Aluminum Diamond Plate

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
cartop

Re: Black Aluminum Diamond Plate

Post#31 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:04 pm

hus55 wrote:i think if guido can get this done it would be great but i feel guido is not that much involved in fabrication.

for this type of work two names come to mind...

firstly axel606 [mike]

secondly , and i think in terms of material and labour costs being lower , cartop [mehmet] from turkey.

lets see what comes of this....

rgds hus.

Hi Hus55, some new G owners need to signal light guards without drilling, so I'm trying to manufacture them.
The diamond aluminum plates has a few pattern on it,like below pics. İt's possible shipping to US but need to sizes for laser cutting. I think the shipping cost not very expencive . We can check from cargo companies how sizes they can shipp to US.
Attachments
ceta_2[1].png
ceta_2[1].png (448.59 KiB) Viewed 394 times
ceta_3[1].png
ceta_3[1].png (411.68 KiB) Viewed 394 times
08[1].jpg

Fernando BR

Post#32 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:24 pm

years ago this 290GDT slept 4 months at one MB dealer here , give a look. I also used this material in black on my 2001 D90.
Attachments
volta dos 80 22.JPG
22-08-08_1139.jpg

hus55

Post#33 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:32 am

cartop wrote:
hus55 wrote:i think if guido can get this done it would be great but i feel guido is not that much involved in fabrication.

for this type of work two names come to mind...

firstly axel606 [mike]

secondly , and i think in terms of material and labour costs being lower , cartop [mehmet] from turkey.

lets see what comes of this....

rgds hus.

Hi Hus55, some new G owners need to signal light guards without drilling, so I'm trying to manufacture them.
The diamond aluminum plates has a few pattern on it,like below pics. İt's possible shipping to US but need to sizes for laser cutting. I think the shipping cost not very expencive . We can check from cargo companies how sizes they can shipp to US.

jonathan joseph

Post#34 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:51 am

So I am going to undertake fabricating these. I have spoken to Guido and one potential customer. I will be ordering some material and working on a prototype shortly.
I have a few suggestions for discussion:

I much prefer the look of the plate when it covers the entire fender top, and goes UNDER the turn signal. I think this would be a much cleaner install and allow the turn signal to seal properly. It would also prevent dirt build up in the strange little space created by cutting the plate AROUND the turn signal.

There are only two screws to remove to install the plate under and I could even provide new longer screws if necessary.

I would mill the plate to remove the "bars" in the area of the turn signal to facilitate a good seal.

I like the idea of wrapping the plate down the side of the fender also, to protect the corner. General consensus on this?

I can fabricate whatever anyone wants but it would be better and less expensive to produce multiples of one design.

I have twenty plus years experience gluing stuff together that is exposed to the weather and I think adhesive only is the way to go. Forget the rivets. Done properly it will last forever, prevent water infiltration, and be removable, although I would make no guarantees as to the condition of the paint afterwards. I will do some research and come up with a adhesive recommendation.

Jonathan

hus55

Post#35 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:58 am

jonathan joseph wrote:So I am going to undertake fabricating these. I have spoken to Guido and one potential customer. I will be ordering some material and working on a prototype shortly.
I have a few suggestions for discussion:

I much prefer the look of the plate when it covers the entire fender top, and goes UNDER the turn signal. I think this would be a much cleaner install and allow the turn signal to seal properly. It would also prevent dirt build up in the strange little space created by cutting the plate AROUND the turn signal.

There are only two screws to remove to install the plate under and I could even provide new longer screws if necessary.

I would mill the plate to remove the "bars" in the area of the turn signal to facilitate a good seal.

I like the idea of wrapping the plate down the side of the fender also, to protect the corner. General consensus on this?

I can fabricate whatever anyone wants but it would be better and less expensive to produce multiples of one design.

I have twenty plus years experience gluing stuff together that is exposed to the weather and I think adhesive only is the way to go. Forget the rivets. Done properly it will last forever, prevent water infiltration, and be removable, although I would make no guarantees as to the condition of the paint afterwards. I will do some research and come up with a adhesive recommendation.

Jonathan

hi jonathan.

i agree with all the pointers you have made...

a sketch would be a good start..

and an approximate price would give an indication as to how this project will go. ofcourse a minimum qauntity must be worked out to see if it will be worth the effort.

rgds hus

autonovice

Post#36 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:35 pm

in the end .. the shipping companies will eat most of the profit/saving.
Share the same design among us but manufacture locally is best.

I like the pic of the diamond plate over the hood. Could be a great alternate solution
to a walk on hood. I just dont like the checker pattern or the shinny finish tho.

What about stainless steel? over aluminum?

jonathan joseph

Post#37 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:31 pm

I think stainless will be prohibitive for many due to cost. Also I don't know that the European tread plate is available in SS. That and stainless weighs three times what aluminum does.

I think I will get one done soon in plain old aluminum plate, just as a prototype. Best to not waste the tread plate on a sample. I will update.

Jonathan

offroad-world

Post#38 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:54 am

this set is from ORC , it comes together with glue from Würth , so it is not screwed onto the fender , no holes drilled .

mfg. guido .
Attachments
CIMG6241.JPG
CIMG6242.JPG
CIMG6243.JPG
CIMG6244.JPG

jonathan joseph

Post#39 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:48 am

Guido,
Looks nice but mine will "wrap" the corner and have a milled flat area for the turn signal and hole for wiring. Also I will include appropriate adhesive from 3M so no screws.
Working on CAD drawings now and a reply from the hopefully 1st. customer.
Sent you a PM.

Jonathan

ontum

Post#40 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:46 am

Guido- Do they use the "Bond and Seal" from wurth?

Return to “Tech: Body, Chassis, Trim, Paint, Color Codes”