Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

windshield

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Canada g

windshield

Post#1 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:47 am

What is the best way to remove the windshield without cutting the windshield seal?

I know it is easier to cut the seal and buy a new one.
About 30 years ago my dad repainted his hunters green 300gd in blue and at the body shop when they tried to remove the windshield they broke it. I don't want this to happen today.

thanks for the info

PackerEdgerton

Re: windshield

Post#2 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:16 am

brabusg36 wrote:What is the best way to remove the windshield without cutting the windshield seal?

I know it is easier to cut the seal and buy a new one.
About 30 years ago my dad repainted his hunters green 300gd in blue and at the body shop when they tried to remove the windshield they broke it. I don't want this to happen today.

thanks for the info

I have personally assisted the expert windshield tech with 2 windshield replacements. Seriously, it is BEST to cut the seal. You need to get under the seal and repair any rust or sealing problems ANYWAY.

Also, I personally would not do it myself. You have to use a giant three-foot-long utility knife and you should have seen the scar the tech showed me from having cut himself years ago. Ouch. Have the expert do it. You'll thank me later.

Packman

bratwurst

Post#3 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:15 am

it's relatively easy to remove the windshield as those seals are designed to be reusable. The only exception is that if someone has glued the seal in- not needed but people do sometimes do this.

The seal is removed by tucking a thin rope under the seal all around the window and then pulling it out, going around the window. The seal pops out. A little dish soap can help.

Look up online removing jeep windows for more details.

As an alternative call a mobile glass guy. He'll probably be able to pull the window in about 10 minutes.

Cheers,

Michael

vadimivanovich

Post#4 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:30 am

Normally I'd second what Packman said, but having just done this job, myself, in about 30 minutes, I think it's worth passing on the info.

I'm assuming no one has used silicone or any other sealant to glue your windshield in place. This will make your fingertips sore for a few days but I got my windshield out no problem... and back in even easier.

From the inside, lift the edge of the gasket that normally rests against the body. While one hand lifts that gasket edge, use your other hand to tuck the gasket back inward so it catches and rests against the lip of the body seam. The seam is on the same plane as the windshield. Working around the perimeter, continue to tuck the edge of the gasket back against the seam most of the way around the windshield. I suggest working from mid-way up the left side of the windshield, along the top, and then mid-way down the right side. At this point, the windshield will be quite easy to remove from the outside, but be sure you have enough of the gasket tucked in on the right & left sides. Adjust as needed so the windshield can be lifted up and away.

Installation is very easy with a piece of thick string - about 3/8" diameter. Look it up on Google or YouTube - it's covered extensively there.

I was pretty nervous my first time, but since then I've been pulling glass myself whenever necessary.

Canada g

Post#5 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:24 am

Thanks for the info. I will try it in a couple of days.

Fernando BR

Post#6 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:22 pm

Cut the seal. It will reduce your risk a lot and its also a good idea use a new one, that will last for long time.

bratwurst

Post#7 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:50 pm

Hey we've got a healthy debate here!

Problem with cutting the seal is that it's a $200 part. The g uses basically the same system used on industrial equipment and it is designed to be removable and reusable in the field.

I do second the idea of changing the glass, however. I recently had my windshield replaced from a custom cut piece of glass for $220 installed. Cheap and the truck is a lot more pleasant to drive.

Michael

PS I replaced all the glass in my truck myself 3 years ago. I found installation harder than removal. At the time I replaced the seals so they "looked new". $500 I didn't need to spend... There are products to make the seals look new if that is a concern.
Last edited by bratwurst on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevegsmith

Post#8 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:29 pm

Just cut the seal and sell the glass (or keep it).

New seal + new glass = different truck.

Okay, if you're on a budget and/or if the truck is just the occasional fun runner, and someone hasn't glued it in, start from the inside and push out, from one side to the other, while folding in the lip. The more hands the better. Don't be bummed if it breaks. Worth the shot.

When you put it back in, use silicone or the proper sealer after installation. Stick the nozzle in the lip and squirt as you work your way around.

Better yet, have an actual glass shop install it for you.

Good luck.

inkblotz

Post#9 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:30 pm

I have done it both ways. Cutting the seal is the easiest and you can address any corrosion that may be hiding. (I used that opportunity to slather on a thick coating of POR 15 to over protect the area.
Which ever way you go be sure to put a heavy blanket on the hood up against the windshield frame. So when that puppy pops out one corner or the other will have a safe landing spot.

M

Crank

Post#10 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:30 am

Do the W460 and W463 use the same windshield gasket?

Anyone have a factory replacement procedure PDF or DIY they could share?

Return to “Tech: Body, Chassis, Trim, Paint, Color Codes”