Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

windshield

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
gerryvz

Re: windshield

Post#31 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:12 pm

Tom Hanson at the MB Classic Center is able to order and ship "comm-blocked" factory parts, if so needed/desired.

schuhe

Post#32 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:32 pm

gerryvz wrote:Tom Hanson at the MB Classic Center is able to order and ship "comm-blocked" factory parts, if so needed/desired.

Would that be in Los Angeles?

awjunkies

Post#33 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:39 pm

So has anyone tried using the drawing to have a windshield made?

I only ask because im stationed in Gulfport, MS where reputable windshield/automotive centers are far and few between. Back while I was in San Diego I could have anything made for dirt cheap and install myself.

I damaged my windshield trying to remove it and id hate to pay top dollar from a dealership to replace. Go figure I worked at a resto shop for 9 years and never broke one but do so on my own vehicle...

Im on the last leg of my deployment and this is one of the first things I will need taken care of before I can carry on. Already been ticketed on base for having my spider man windshield! I called one of the local shops and told them I had a custom windshield I need made and was quoted roughly $200-400 depending on size. Called again a few weeks later and gave them the exact model and part #'s as sourced here and was immediately quoted $700 + for "special glass."

Hope you can see what im dealing with. I have to either order from an online source or find used. I cant show up to any local shop as they will immediately charge me the luxury tax ;)

Any ideas?

vadimivanovich

Post#34 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:56 pm

Walk into any residential glass shop and bring your broken windshield with you. Tell them "make me one of these" and you'll pay about $200 for standard laminated glass. Don't give make or model #. Wear your torn jeans with last week's pizza stains on them. Limp. And pay in crumpled bills.

bajaG

Post#35 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:04 pm

Does anyone know the OEM thickness? I had heard that replacement shop cut glass was thinner than the metric original.

Crank

Post#36 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:07 pm

You need AS1 DOT glass.

syncro_G

Post#37 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:09 pm

vadimivanovich wrote:Part numbers:
460 671 00 10 - original W460
460 671 02 10 - Superceded W460
463 671 03 10 - Superceded (again) W460 and W463
Judging by the numbers, you might not find a W460 windshield at all any more, but I really do not know.

460 671 05 10 is apparently the latest in W460 glass. However, it looks very much like W463 glass with the mirror patch (a plus to me but perhaps not to a restorer)

stevegsmith

Post#38 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:51 pm

I have the replacement with the sun patch. It would be silly not to install it.
Was there any window frame rust?

vadimivanovich

Post#39 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:10 pm

What???! Steve put a non-original windshield in his G? That's IT!

syncro_G

Post#40 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:27 pm

Vadim's comments earlier made me feel confidant. So I got started today on the windshield replacement.
The old one was hard to get out. I didn't cut the seal and opted instead to pushing the windshield out...

POP. It started cracking. It really doesn't take much pressure to break the glass. At this point, I started questioning my confidence.

Once the glass was out, I could see the frame sill had standing water and under that was a few little blisters of rust. I sanded those down, painted them with rust inhibitor and let that dry for several hours before assembling the new windshield.

I followed the advise with the 3/8" rope and soaped all surfaces with a water and dish soap mixture in a squirt bottle and got started.

The glass really did go in easily. I sprayed down the body frame and the window seal with soapy water, set the windshield in place and started pulling the cord. The thing just started settling into place. I had to pause mid way to help seat the window down from the outside.

Once the inner lip was done, I did have to go around the exterior seal to straighten out the lips there too - mostly with my fingers.

Honestly, the hardest part was getting the rear view mirror back on. after lots of experimentation, I finally tried a big rubber mallet and after several tries, it popped back into place.

BTW, the new window seal has a lot more lips to it and should work much better than the original, The old seal didn't have any sealant applied to it so I skipped the sealant as well.

Return to “Tech: Body, Chassis, Trim, Paint, Color Codes”