Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

windshield

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
vadimivanovich

Re: windshield

Post#21 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:44 pm

Safelite will have a windshield for a 2002 G500, which will fit 100%. It'll probably have some non-460 markings around the edges or something.

...or just bring your G to any glass shop and have them cut one using your cracked original as a template. 1/4 the price and the same result. You can even choose your tint!

Crank

Post#22 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:26 pm

vadimivanovich wrote:Safelite will have a windshield for a 2002 G500, which will fit 100%. It'll probably have some non-460 markings around the edges or something.

...or just bring your G to any glass shop and have them cut one using your cracked original as a template. 1/4 the price and the same result. You can even choose your tint!

Well, the problem is, my 280GE has a windshield in it that is not a genuine Mercedes item. In fact, there are no markings on it at all, so I'm not even certain (without throwing a rock at it) if it's even DOT glass...!!!

I did not have this windshield installed, it was done by the previous owner.

So anyway, if I take it to a glass shop to use as a template, I'm sure it will fit into the frame... but I don't know if it's the correct size, exactly. It's possible that this non-factory windshield was also cut using the previous one as a template, but I don't know that for sure.

If anyone can post the windshield part number, I'd love to have it so I can find out what a new one from Mercedes will cost. Don't really want to do a W463 windshield that has modern markings on it.

vadimivanovich

Post#23 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:15 pm

Part numbers:

460 671 00 10 - original W460
460 671 02 10 - Superceded W460
463 671 03 10 - Superceded (again) W460 and W463

Judging by the numbers, you might not find a W460 windshield at all any more, but I really do not know.

FWIW, DOT glass is a rubber stamp thing, not a specific recipe or manufacturing process. Automotive windshields are made of two layers of standard glass, laminated in-between. The glass is not, and MUST NOT be hardened, tempered, or anything else. If tinted, the DOT has certain "approved" colors & tint %s allowed. If a missile goes through your non-DOT windshield and kills your passenger, you may have an insurance problem. Otherwise...

As for sizing, there's a fair amount of slop designed into the body opening. You have to account for the thickness of the gasket and a certain percentage of body flex. Loose is better than too tight. My windshield has a bronze tint to match all of my other windows - you can make it the way you want.

You might prefer Mercedes glass for peace of mind, but I'm sort of anti-establishment sometimes.

DesertStar

Post#24 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:27 pm

Crank wrote:
vadimivanovich wrote:Safelite will have a windshield for a 2002 G500, which will fit 100%. It'll probably have some non-460 markings around the edges or something.

If anyone can post the windshield part number, I'd love to have it so I can find out what a new one from Mercedes will cost. Don't really want to do a W463 windshield that has modern markings on it.

I had this saved regarding windshield for my 85 280GE that I think Steve from Eurotruck provided me:

Windshield A4606710510 $344.00 may be "commblocked"......not sure if it has the "shade /blackout area" where the rearview mirror is though.

FWIW I had a windshield cut for my W460 for around 150.00. They did not use the silicone sealant on the install. I went that route because I wanted to retain the W460 look without the "shaded area" by where the rearview mirror is or have any other markings. 2 days later a Mini passed me standing still and kicked back a rock and .... :o

Next time I will just go to the dealer and have them put a W463 "style" windshield (I think it is the part number I provided above) in for time and convenience....besides, I saw one installed on SteveGSmith's ecoburner and thought the shaded part by the rearview mirror was actually pretty useful and does not look out of place.

Mike
Attachments
windos copy.jpg

Crank

Post#25 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:44 am

Thanks guys.

Windshields are annoying. Last year, I had a no-shit golf ball-sized rock bounce out of the undercarriage of a construction vehicle and hit my G500 in the windshield like it was shot out of a cannon. I was actually relieved that it hit me in the windshield, coz it would've killed a headlight or put a hurting on a painted panel. Almost $1400 to replace it at Safelite. Insane. I'm gonna do future windshields myself.

The part number provided by DesertStar does show NLA. Guess I will try the custom route first and see what happens. Otherwise, I will have to go with a G500 windshield. Your perspective is understood, Vlad, but for the sake of my passengers, I would prefer a factory windshield, or DOT-marked glass at very least. I will be perfectly happy with DOT glass - hoping to get the size as close as possible to factory, though.

Winston

Post#26 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:41 am

Maybe Suppatime or someone else in the middle of a restoration has their windshield removed and could give you some measurements?

inkblotz

Post#27 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:53 am

Had these in my archives. I never personally had one made.

Mark
Attachments
get-attachment.php.jpg
windshield.jpg

Crank

Post#28 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:53 am

inkblotz wrote:Had these in my archives. I never personally had one made.

Mark

Wow, those are great - thank you!

Do you know where these measurements came from?

schuhe

Post#29 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:48 am

Thank you for the drawing, Mark. Goes into my important Gwagen "printed documents file" that I carry while driving long distances from home.

Tom

inkblotz

Post#30 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:12 am

Crank wrote:
inkblotz wrote:Had these in my archives. I never personally had one made.

Mark

Wow, those are great - thank you!

Do you know where these measurements came from?

I don't. They were in my collection of G info from years back.

Mark

Return to “Tech: Body, Chassis, Trim, Paint, Color Codes”