Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

WALK-ON-HOOD i like that

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
offroad-world

Re: WALK-ON-HOOD i like that

Post#11 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:32 pm

Otiswesty wrote:Looks like Pur edition hood

yep , this is correct , you have learned your lesson ;)

mfg. guido .

diesel_jim

Post#12 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:09 pm

very nice 8-) 8-)

grazza

Post#13 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:34 pm

Sorry if this has been answered before, but is it possible to modify a normal hood so it can be walked on? I use my roof rack a lot and have walked on the hood to get to it, gingerly at the back.

Being able to do it with confidence would be very handy.

Also potentially considerably cheaper than purchasing the real thing, especially if some DIY fabrication can be done.

Here's hoping...

AlanMcR

Post#14 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:41 pm

grazza wrote:Sorry if this has been answered before, but is it possible to modify a normal hood so it can be walked on? I use my roof rack a lot and have walked on the hood to get to it, gingerly at the back.

Also potentially considerably cheaper than purchasing the real thing, especially if some DIY fabrication can be done.

Here's hoping...

Paging Vadim to the white courtesy keyboard...

Chris

Post#15 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:10 pm

My 280GE hood has 40lbs of bondo body filler on it due to a rollover, thanks to that it's now strong enough to walk on.

Johnny Christensen

Post#16 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:42 pm

grazza wrote:Sorry if this has been answered before, but is it possible to modify a normal hood so it can be walked on? I use my roof rack a lot and have walked on the hood to get to it, gingerly at the back.

Here's hoping...

Michael Pagger sells a kit to convert to walk-on-hood. http://www.puchg.net/ersatzteile-spare- ... lechteile/
It's the one in the top.

Translation says something like
Retrofitting walk-hood

Condition: New

We offer here a retrofit kit for walk-in hood, consisting of the intermediate liner and the reinforcement plate, you still need a temperature-resistant adhesive and approx 40 pcs. Rivets.

grazza

Post#17 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:05 am

Thanks Johnny.

So I guess it 2 sheets of steel, glued togather, then riveted to the bottom lip of the existing hood (and perhaps also glued)

I imagine the sound-deadening is also removed.

Hate to think of the frieght to Australia, on top of the 700 euro for 2 sheets of steel.

Johnny Christensen

Post#18 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:58 am

That should be possible to manufacture locally, but I would keep the sound deadning if possible - a quiet vehicle is a good vehicle.

offroad-world

Post#19 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:17 am

i still think it is impossible to make one DIY and have a result like the OEM part .

mfg. guido .

Daewoo

Post#20 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:06 am

Agreed. You cannot beat OEM parts for one simple reason and that is Mercedes R&D process. DIY may possibly put something together but DIY can't stand a chance when it comes to Test and Evaluation of the product.

Again there is always an exception. If the DIY is a billionaire like Elon Musk, then all bets are off. This guy could go out and buy every test chambers that existed in the western world and build/test anything he wishes! Otherwise....stick with OEM

Return to “Tech: Body, Chassis, Trim, Paint, Color Codes”