Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Sagging Headliner

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
IBEX

Sagging Headliner

Post#1 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:27 pm

Hello,
I have a 1999 MB G320.
Can anyone advice regarding how to fix a sagging headliner?
Should I glue it to the roof (which glue is the best), or there are some kind of fasteners?
Thank you in advance.
Your help will be greatly appreciated.

AlanMcR

Re: Sagging Headliner

Post#2 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:15 pm

Is the saggy part the cloth surface, or the thick structural part?
...Alan

IBEX

Post#3 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:37 pm

It is thick (hard) structural part (from sliding roof to the back of the truck).

AlanMcR

Post#4 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:01 pm

I think it is supposed to hold itself up from the edges without central support. Did it get wet? The parts I have seen were essentially a wall of bonded cork.
...Alan

vadimivanovich

Post#5 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:52 am

If you like living on the wild-side you can try forming it back into its original position. The headliner needs to be removed and moistened in the affected areas. You can then dry it out, up-side down, with weights in the center to push it into the right shape - you need to account for some spring-back too.

If you're asking this question though, you'd probably be better off replacing it or having someone do this for you. It's a bear to remove on a W460 and I can't imagine a W463 being any easier. I tried epoxy resin & fiberglass on mine - it worked only marginally. I should have at least started with the moisture technique.
"The way you think is the way you live"

IBEX

Post#6 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:51 am

Got it... That is exactly what I thought it would be... Since it is hard/structural part so it should hold it self like a bow-bridge. I would definitely do the "forming it back" by myself, but I don't have a place for this (garage). So I am going to drive with it as it is, and later I will order a new one and have it replaced by a professional. Thank you very much for sharing the information and you experience with me. All the best to all of you!

wagner

Post#7 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:07 pm

IBEX can you share the person or shop who will repair you headliner?

inkblotz

Post#8 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:29 am

Perhaps a length of Velcro placed on the metal rail and the adjoining piece on the headliner. They make very wide industrial grade Velcro.

Mark

vadimivanovich

Post#9 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:23 am

Not a bad idea Mark. There is some extremely tenacious hook & loop material out there. Perhaps too much so even. The challenge would be to get it to bond well to the fiber-board headliner. Maybe seal it off with polyurethane in the bond area before application?
"The way you think is the way you live"

blueg

Post#10 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:49 pm

Could the headliner be moistened in place with spray bottle then propped up with cut to length props and force dried by heater and fan to prevent mildew?
Might save taking it out and putting it back.
Will come out easier because of sag but once back to proper perimeter size may be near impossible to put back.
Likely going to be some residual swelling from original distortion and isn't that always in the worst place imagined?

Return to “Tech: Body, Chassis, Trim, Paint, Color Codes”