Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

hood liner

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Alydar

hood liner

Post#1 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:16 am

Good morning! Does anyone have a source for the acoustic/heat liner for the inside of the hood for a 240swb? Or, an equivalent off the shelf version?

Johnny Christensen

Re: hood liner

Post#2 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:27 pm

I don't think the old style hood liner can be bought anymore at mercedes. But the new style (and more efficient) hood liner that is used on my GD290 is # A4636820260 and not that expencive.
The long stroke OM602 engine was noisy and tractor like, therefore the hood lining is thicker than the old style.

VolvoC303

Post#3 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:26 pm

Only place Ive ever seen it. Not cheap but worth it Im sure.
http://fourbyfourclub.com/W460BodyParts ... lation.htm

nihil

Post#4 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:41 am

If you aren't hung up on OEM parts, Dynamat makes some stuff that should be better on the noise levels than factory.

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-11905-Hoo ... B00069QLVC

You'd have to clean the heck out of the hood before installation though, as it's adhesive based.
1982 300GD LWB RHD

G Nome

Post#5 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:48 am

Be careful using some of the sound deadening around hot engines. Especially the cheap stuff off Amazon.

I used some to deaden noise in the doghouse on the van with 7.3 Powerstroke. The shit melted onto everything. What a mess. Maybe a test is in order before use.

Just a word of caution from someone who wasn't.

Good luck and let us know what you do and how it works pleas.

Kent

VolvoC303

Post#6 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:36 pm

The Dynaliner is what I have right now and it's what you are referring to I believe. It's made for engine bays but it looks like crap compared to typical Mercedes expectations.

If I were to do it over, I'd save up for the real thing but I could never find it for sale when I was doing my hood. I would still put the heavy alm. faced absorbing sheets (not the same as dynaliner) on the hood first, then put the OE mat like it's suppose to have. My hood is free of any "tinny" vibrations but the big alum. foam based Dynaliner doesn't look too good, plus it's hard to cut and glue in properly. I'd also argue that the original stuff is porous and will likely absorb sound better, esp. when combined with the vibration absorbing mats that are stuck on the metal itself.

And one other thing, I'd buy the Rattle Trap (Fat Mat) brand stuff for the metal panel dampening. I have tested and used it myself for many years. It is the same as Dynamat but with a different name on it. It is a LOT cheaper because you aren't paying for Dynamat's marketing. It has held just as well or better to ceilings and under the hood applications. I always apply it with a heat gun to soften it up and make it super sticky. Heat the metal up too and slap it on.
http://www.fatmat.com/shop/rattle-trap-bulk-packs-6564

What you see is not rust, it's just stains from the factory glue. This was cleaned thoroughly and was smooth to the touch but I could never get the stains off, not that it matters one bit since glue went over top of it. I had these pieces left over which explains the smaller pieces; I'd prefer to use one large, longer piece up front but ran out. You don't need to cover all the metal with the rattle trap. The hood was much more solid sounding after this and sounds 10 times better when closing it.
Attachments
111224_003.jpg

Alydar

Post#7 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:05 pm

VolvoC303 wrote:Only place Ive ever seen it. Not cheap but worth it Im sure.
http://fourbyfourclub.com/W460BodyParts ... lation.htm
thanks Volvo - mighty pricey indeed.

Alydar

Post#8 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:07 pm

VolvoC303 wrote:The Dynaliner is what I have right now and it's what you are referring to I believe. It's made for engine bays but it looks like crap compared to typical Mercedes expectations.

If I were to do it over, I'd save up for the real thing but I could never find it for sale when I was doing my hood. I would still put the heavy alm. faced absorbing sheets (not the same as dynaliner) on the hood first, then put the OE mat like it's suppose to have. My hood is free of any "tinny" vibrations but the big alum. foam based Dynaliner doesn't look too good, plus it's hard to cut and glue in properly. I'd also argue that the original stuff is porous and will likely absorb sound better, esp. when combined with the vibration absorbing mats that are stuck on the metal itself.

And one other thing, I'd buy the Rattle Trap (Fat Mat) brand stuff for the metal panel dampening. I have tested and used it myself for many years. It is the same as Dynamat but with a different name on it. It is a LOT cheaper because you aren't paying for Dynamat's marketing. It has held just as well or better to ceilings and under the hood applications. I always apply it with a heat gun to soften it up and make it super sticky. Heat the metal up too and slap it on.
http://www.fatmat.com/shop/rattle-trap-bulk-packs-6564

What you see is not rust, it's just stains from the factory glue. This was cleaned thoroughly and was smooth to the touch but I could never get the stains off, not that it matters one bit since glue went over top of it. I had these pieces left over which explains the smaller pieces; I'd prefer to use one large, longer piece up front but ran out. You don't need to cover all the metal with the rattle trap. The hood was much more solid sounding after this and sounds 10 times better when closing it.

Fantastic - thanks - we're on exactly the same sheet of music.

inkblotz

Post#9 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:41 am

wagner

Post#10 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:06 pm

I just use a regular acoustic sheet in replacement of my old and dust hood liner. Its cheaper and easy to install.

Return to “Tech: Body, Chassis, Trim, Paint, Color Codes”