Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Steve's White 1982 300GD LWB repaint

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
stevegsmith

Steve's White 1982 300GD LWB repaint

Post#1 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:23 am

Still a work in progress. I've been wanting to do this for a while now. Body is in great shape overall but I wanted to stay ahead of some minor existing and other potential rust issues in the traditional rust prone areas. For the sake of achieving the best job possible, without the need for taping, I stripped the truck inside and out. For me, it's too stressful to rely on body and paint guys to pay attention to anything other than body and paint. Hopefully, I covered all the bases. So far, I'm really happy with the work. I believe it's getting paint tomorrow or Thursday.

Work done:
Fixed 32 holes in the roof from 4 mahogany runners that a previous owner thought would look good.
Taillight corners had minor rust, cut out and patched.
Driver door upper hinge replaced and adjacent tweaked area repaired.
Minor rust under windshield gasket cut out and patched.
Minor rust under right rear cargo window cut out and patched.
Multiple little dents here and there (and everywhere).
Side marker screw holes filled. Prepping for newer style.

Regarding the windshield and cargo frame issues. I'm pretty sure that kind of stuff happens when something somehow gets lodged under the gasket allowing moisture intrusion and retention. One more thing to check when returning to the road. I may add some extra sealant this time around at the windshield gasket. I don't trust the gasket alone anymore. The profile on it is pretty amazing but if there is anyway for water to get behind the front lip, I think it will just run down to the bottom edge and stay there. With wind, rain, and dust hitting it at 65 miles an hour, not really that surprising that it happens.

Anyway, here are some pics and I'll post more through to the end.
Attachments
P1050547.JPG
IMG_0222.JPG
IMG_0221.JPG
IMG_0220.JPG
IMG_0217.JPG
IMG_0215.JPG
IMG_0214.JPG
IMG_0195.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG
IMG_0192.JPG
IMG_0191.JPG
IMG_0190.JPG
IMG_0189.JPG

DesertStar

Re: Steve's White 1982 300GD LWB repaint

Post#2 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:53 am

Looks great Steve. I hope you are using the original RAL colored paint, otherwise it would not be the same and I would look at you so much differently from now on. :shock:

But seriously,...Looks great Steve. I hope you are using the original RAL colored paint, otherwise it would not be the same and I would look at you so much differently from now on.

I can't wait to touch it !!
Mike

reinhardtius

Post#3 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:57 am

mmmmmmm white

stevegsmith

Post#4 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:25 pm

Stock RAL9001 White, Dupont's formulation. I was sooo tempted to go two-tone with park-service-green on the bottom but chickened out......just like I did with my old FJ55. Cluck cluck.

The final sample they shot looked pretty damn good. Apparently there were a couple different versions. The difference between the paint formulas they got from Dupont of what they thought was the right one and the right one was miniscule. Then they compared the ping-pong-paddle-sized sample to a section of exposed interior paint work with the truck inside the facility and outside in the sunlight. Still keeping my fingers crossed.

reinhardtius

Post#5 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:11 pm

stevegsmith wrote:Stock RAL9001 White, Dupont's formulation. I was sooo tempted to go two-tone with park-service-green on the bottom but chickened out......just like I did with my old FJ55. Cluck cluck.

The final sample they shot looked pretty damn good. Apparently there were a couple different versions. The difference between the paint formulas they got from Dupont of what they thought was the right one and the right one was miniscule. Then they compared the ping-pong-paddle-sized sample to a section of exposed interior paint work with the truck inside the facility and outside in the sunlight. Still keeping my fingers crossed.

Steve,

I have to ask. I see you left the seats, seatbelt, turn signals and license plate on. Did you drive the car to the bodyshop like that? Did you wear some aviation goggles? What sort of looks did you get? :D

Dai C

Post#6 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:45 pm

The problem with this is that you will not want to drive it off road or into blackberry overgrown places. Are you OK with this? Do we have to schedule a little time with Dr. S for post paintjob syndrome?

I'm glad you are dealing with the rust issues. It is critical with these 460's because of age. The first thing I did to my truck was to remove the windshield and sort out rust that was under the seal. It turned out to be minor but I'm glad I stopped it and painted the area. My regret was not buying a new windshield. It is still the original and is pit city! The glass guys used a sealer between the body and the seal, it is a 3M goo that is called Automotive Bedding & Glazing Compound --Black 08509. There is some mystery number 0 51135 below that. It is in a 10 oz caulking gun tube. It is specifically designed to go between the body and a rubber seal.

They used a different compound between the seal and glass and I don't have that material info on me. I recommend doing both because you will not have capillary action in either channel. NO LEAKY. NO RUSTY!

Cheers Amigo. You are going to have a nice ride when it is done. It was nice before. It will be nicer!

-Dai

schuhe

Post#7 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:27 pm

Yep! I have a special on, this month only, for post-body work & painting syndome treatment. I have a manualized behavioral treatment regime that is certain to relieve the stress of this intense work.

Hey, this is looking great, and know in my heart that we all will need to go there one day.

Dai, do you have a special white wine for launching the new SS Weiss Gwagen? Bet yours is better than a Dupont blend!!

syncro_G

Post#8 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:44 pm

awesome! can't wait to touch it.

If it's possible, I recommend letting it sit for a month before bolting stuff back on.
I've done similarly thorough paint jobs before and was frustrated at how easily new paint chips from rocks on the road. Also, rubber trim can stick to the new paint and over time look like it had been there during the paint job.

Gelande

Post#9 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:12 am

Agreed

When I picked up Dimi's S-klasse diesel a couple of months ago, it has just had the bumper resprayed.....well one knock into a log in the driveway at .00001 mph and all the paint started falling right off.....

Now that call might be called....no paint prep

which gets back to it, if you do the right prep, which is 80% of the labor at least on a full paint job, then you'll be fine.

stevegsmith

Post#10 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:50 am

snyder.hunter wrote:
I have to ask. I see you left the seats, seatbelt, turn signals and license plate on. Did you drive the car to the bodyshop like that? Did you wear some aviation goggles? What sort of looks did you get? :D

Yeah, drove it there then removed taillights, headlights, and turn signals. It was like driving in a tin can and a little chillier than expected. The license plate is zip tied to the hitch.

I'm going to drive it home when they're done. Woohoo.

Return to “Tech: Body, Chassis, Trim, Paint, Color Codes”