Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Steve's White 1982 300GD LWB repaint

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
stevegsmith

Re: Steve's White 1982 300GD LWB repaint

Post#21 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:51 pm

schuhe wrote:SS,

Just put some Wagner tunes in your player, and just charge into the world. White is the color of victory, vision, health, and purity. My first G (300GD Cabiro (1980 - now lives in California) was white, and it looked as good the day I sold it as when new...nearly! White is much more forgiving!

I doubt that you will ever need "First Scratch Therapy!" You are evolved and beyond the black-white material world from which many suffer.

Scratches are a bit like Heidleburg scares that pre WW I German cav officers would have surgerically put on their faces to show that they were worthy as warriors. (Some suffered this in real battle, or in fencing practice, or were surgerically inflicted.) Gwagens are best with a few marks to show their worth and talent in a world that is not friendly to motorized transport.

I admire you hard work, SS. Cannot wait to see the results at the Dai/Oregan gathering next spring/summer (Yes?).

Tom

Thanks Tom. Yeah, I lusted after your G for a long time. I finally got to see it in person a couple years ago at Collie Auto just after you sold it. It was/is indeed a beautiful machine. When Serpe had your current green machine, another perfect specimen, I had the honor of driving it. Great trucks.

Yes, I'll be at Dai's again as well and will look forward to showing it off (and seeing you of course).

steve

Indiana Drew

Post#22 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:38 pm

stevegsmith wrote:
Indiana Drew wrote:
stevegsmith wrote:PIcked up all my re-tinted windows today. Woohoo... scratch free glass for once, who woulda thunk?

Did you have it polished or just have new tint applied?

Just tint. The three cargo pieces look almost new. You can still see some scratches on the passenger door glass. No so bad though.

Yes, all but the driver's side roll up on mine are old and funky - the driver's side was smashed in a break in so it's brand new and shinny ... I'd like to put new in the other side and wind shield ... The cargos and the barn doors need some good tint to keep the heat out ... What color did you go?

schuhe

Post#23 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:56 pm

Steve,

I think I can hear the faint sound of the grape crushing equipment being adjusted for Dai's newest batch of wines from P'math, OR. I hope Harald is on "work-release" status by the time we gather again. It would be a great reunion with some wonderful folks.

Met with Adam of AK and his business partner earlier this week. They just took delivery of two 460's and were getting ready to head back into the Great Dark Empty (and wonderful) North Country (Alaska).

You know, there is something about G owners; it often feels as though I have know them personally for years and years. Yet, this was my first time meeting with Adam, but I could have picked him out of a line-up. We (3) had a great time looking over these G's and hearing their individual treatment plans for work they want to do. What fun! Sorry for being off topic, but I am often honored by the company and character of many of our forum members.

Tom

stevegsmith

Post#24 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:55 pm

schuhe wrote:Steve,

I think I can hear the faint sound of the grape crushing equipment being adjusted for Dai's newest batch of wines from P'math, OR. I hope Harald is on "work-release" status by the time we gather again. It would be a great reunion with some wonderful folks.

Met with Adam of AK and his business partner earlier this week. They just took delivery of two 460's and were getting ready to head back into the Great Dark Empty (and wonderful) North Country (Alaska).

You know, there is something about G owners; it often feels as though I have know them personally for years and years. Yet, this was my first time meeting with Adam, but I could have picked him out of a line-up. We (3) had a great time looking over these G's and hearing their individual treatment plans for work they want to do. What fun! Sorry for being off topic, but I am often honored by the company and character of many of our forum members.

Tom

Good stuff. I was bummed to have missed Adam when he was down here.
Next time.

stevegsmith

Post#25 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:57 am

Welp, she's home. Haven't combed over it yet but it looks good so far. Paint was tough to match. Matches the interior paint-work almost perfectly, but the tape-line in the door sills is somewhat visible. I'm going to polish the adjacent older paint after the newer stuff cures for a bit. Don't you just love polishing and waxing door sills? No, I didn't go all the way to the door seals due to added cost. Too much prep work and time necessary when the paint in the sills seamed to be in pretty good shape.

Starting on the re-assembly tonight. Plan to do some Dynamatting starting with the fresh air intake scoop. Inkblotz suggested this to me a long time ago. Said it cuts quite a bit of engine noise down. Makes sense given there is only a thin piece of sheet metal and the plastic air box between you and the back of the block and exhaust header. Then the doors then I don't know where. I've been debating on whether to do the floors. I have stock mats and heavy cocomats to boot. Thought about the roof. Thoughts?

Other suggestions any of you have on any re-assembly items, feel free to throw them at me.

thx

Not a great pic I know. Just snapped it this morning before leaving the house.
Attachments
G_repaint.jpg

DesertStar

Post#26 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:10 am

stevegsmith wrote:
Other suggestions any of you have on any re-assembly items, feel free to throw them at me.

thx

Steve, I suggest you be very careful to not scratch the paint when putting things back together. ;)

Your helpful friend,
Mike

Gelande

Post#27 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:03 pm

una bella machina!

inkblotz

Post#28 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:11 pm

The white nights will ride again! Hallelujah Brother! Hallelujah!

Give it a couple of days to Cure a bit before you assembly any exterior parts.

RE Dynamat: I did my doors as well I am considering doing the hump under the center console. Once I touchup/Por 15 my floors I will be putting some form of rhino liner like coating inside on all my floors and wheel humps all the way to the back. Then I may do the Dynamat but with a convertible there is a better chance of standing water from not getting the top up in time so installing the Dynamt on the floor is still up in the air.

Your G is looking great! When will you be adding the Hello Kitty accents?

Mark

schuhe

Post#29 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:10 pm

While the doors panels are open, a friend showed me a trick using a self adhesive lead like material (in one by one foot sheets) stuck to the inside of the door. Once in position, they act to make the doors sound solid when closing. The "ring" of G doors closing goes away, and replaced with a solid "clunk" sound. Consider this, SS, when you put your G back together. I wish I had more information about this material, but it is not expensive and very effective. Let me search a bit for more data.

Tom

stevegsmith

Post#30 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:49 pm

schuhe wrote:While the doors panels are open, a friend showed me a trick using a self adhesive lead like material (in one by one foot sheets) stuck to the inside of the door. Once in position, they act to make the doors sound solid when closing. The "ring" of G doors closing goes away, and replaced with a solid "clunk" sound. Consider this, SS, when you put your G back together. I wish I had more information about this material, but it is not expensive and very effective. Let me search a bit for more data.

Tom

Thanks dudes.

Tom, Dai posted this on P3nis for me when I asked about Dynamat:

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=50

Is that what you were talking about?
ss

Return to “Tech: Body, Chassis, Trim, Paint, Color Codes”