Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

230G ? diesel WVO convertion verse LPG

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
tarheel

230G ? diesel WVO convertion verse LPG

Post#1 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:29 am

I have a 1980 230G cabrio. Considering an LPG conversion. However, I have a nice 300GD turbo motor from my old 1985 300SD. Am I crazy to think I could convert a 230G to a 300GD turbo. Does anyone no if this is a simple engine change or am I looking at lots of $$$. Really want a WVO diesel, but if this is looking for trouble I will just pursue an LPG conversion. Any thoughts..??

jonathan joseph

Re: 230G ? diesel WVO convertion verse LPG

Post#2 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:33 am

It is very commonly done. Not difficult but complicated. Not for the faint of heart. There is a great deal of info about these swaps discussed on the Pointed Three forum, less here.
It is totally doable, but don't go into it thinking it's a plug and play swap.

Jonathan

schuhe

Post#3 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:46 am

Changing from gasoline to diesel adds a few issues. Dave Gomes converted his 280G to a 617a (300 turbo) engine, and this is covered on P3 forum. There may be more issues over motor mounts and exhaust when going from the 2300cc engine to the diesel. Is your 230G a standard transmission? That would be better (I think), however there are issues of the heavier clutch that will be important to sort out. The 617a engine is clearly a long term engine investment that has equal or better fuel economy over the 617 (non-turbo diesel).

Good luck.

tarheel

Post#4 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:13 am

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it would be a bit more complicated and expensive than what I would want to get into at the moment. Still thinking about it for the future though, 617a is such a nice engine.

Reza

Locked up

Post#5 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:55 pm

I'm actually nearly done with my 280GE to 617a conversion. I'm using an 85 300SD like you mentioned.

The cast iron motor mounts are unique to the G / 617 combo. The 85 with all the EGR stuff makes it a
bit more complicated to sort out. I actually have yanked it all out. I made my own up pipe to take the
oxidizer out, and capped off the EGR valve.

I should be firing it up this weekend!

Gelande

Post#6 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:52 pm

I've found that the turbo diesel gets a good bit worse fuel mileage than the naturally aspirated version. All in the foot I suppose, but the more the turbo spools, the more fuel is burned.

schuhe

Post#7 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:16 pm

I am really impressed with the fuel mileage that I seem to be getting with the five speed, naturally aspired diesel. Hills cause me some grief, but when the road is relatively flat, it seems that I am turning in over 20 MPG. I have not checked this yet, but plan to on the next long trek. Diesel fuel has a little more punch than soy bean oil, and perhaps slightly better mileage too.

Gelande

Post#8 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:09 am

Curious, which engine mounts did you use??

Return to “Tech: Alternative Fuels: Bio-fuels, WVO, Ethanol, Propane, NG, Solar”