Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

OT 617A diesel return for WVO

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
G Nome

OT 617A diesel return for WVO

Post#1 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:36 am

Off topic but...

So I am thinking of looping the return back into the wvo fuel feed before the filter to keep the heat up near the engine instead of returning to the tank and bringing up less warm veg on a two tank wvo system.

I will have a 3 way valve on the return line to be able to loop or send back to wvo tank to purge air on filter changes etc. My objective is to increase the veg fuel temp.

My main question is if the return from the engine has air in it that could cause issues?

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Kent
Attachments
IMG_6077.JPG

vadimivanovich

Re: OT 617A diesel return for WVO

Post#2 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:18 pm

Kent, if you look at a return line that has been replaced by clear tubing you will see bubbles. I believe that they come from cavitation, not air leaks, but the gas is there nonetheless. This is why there is that cigar shaped hose on the 617s. I suspect you could do what you intend as long as the return fuel line goes to a small accumulation tank rather than being plumbed directly in. This would allow the gas to separate out and you could draw fuel from a location that would always be applying liquid.

One other point is that the return line does not flow smoothly - it pulses rather forcefully and would likely disturb the flow of fuel through the IP unless you had that accumulation tank.

I'd expect a tank of about a liter or so to be enough. Just a guess though. Heck, you could make it larger and stick a heat exchanger in it for even better fuel pre heating.

G Nome

Post#3 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:10 pm

Interesting. Thank you.

Maybe if I do it I will throw a cigar hose in.

G Nome

Post#4 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:28 am

Took me a little to digest.

So kind of like running a diesel purge. A small tank with a hose in and a hose out.

I'm thinking I should tie it in before the fuel pump.

FYI The system goes like this:

Three 3 way valves

1 selects the fuel

to the fuel pump

2 selects the filter to send the fuel through

into the injection pump

3 selects the fuel tank to return to.

Thanks again for the help.

Return to “Tech: Alternative Fuels: Bio-fuels, WVO, Ethanol, Propane, NG, Solar”