Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Oil changing tool

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Dai C

Oil changing tool

Post#1 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:38 pm

I bought a tool to aid in oil changes. It is similar to the changing tools that others here have been using. Instead of a pump it uses air pressure to make it go. Connect it to an airline and it takes a minute or so to develop vacuum so it can pull the oil out of the sump via the dipstick tube. My friend Mike at Prestige Auto Repair in Salem, OR uses one of these and recommended it to me. It is well made and comes with a quiver full of various sized adapters to fit an array of different engine configurations. All metal construction. I really needed it to change the oil on our old used forklift. No access below for oil drain. Ten minute job! I did four oil changes with the thing yesterday and I have to say it is fantastic. Easy, fast and kind of fun. I can now change oil in the time it takes to deal with the filter R+R, without donning a jumpsuit. I have to like that.
It is a Northern Tool and Equipment standard offering: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200323340
I was able to get it on sale. It is worth it for me. No more hot diesel oil bath removing the huge drainplug on the GD. Civilized. Works best and extracts the oil fastest when the motor is hot. It is painted a fast shade of RED.

Cheers!
Attachments
oilchanger.jpg
adapter.jpg
goilchng.jpg

inkblotz

Re: Oil changing tool

Post#2 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:26 am

Dai

NIce unit. Yours looks like the perfect solution for all the machines you must service.

To service my wife's car and my daughters C320, I went the cheap route and bought this Northern tool extractor: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... 467_465467
There are a few drawbacks to the one I bought:
1. You have to pump it a few times during the oil changing process.
2. Since I change my oil when it's hot the plastic line kept collapsing on me (I will substitute a more substantial hose in the future)
3. The amount of oil in the C320 took the oil to the top and into the pumping mechanism (messy).

I guess I got what I paid for.

Mark
Last edited by inkblotz on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dai C

Re: Oil changing tool

Post#3 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:31 am

Mark, this thing works great and you can use it when the motor is super hot. I deal with many machines this makes my life a lot easier. I waited a while to buy it until I got a great deal and no shipping.

-Dai

Return to “Info: Special Tools + Lubricants”