Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Tool Sets? Recommendations Appreciated

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
reinhardtius

Tool Sets? Recommendations Appreciated

Post#1 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:59 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm going to begin working on my truck a little more, need some recommendations for must-have's to work on the OM617 motor. I spoke to Dai, he gave me a very thorough description of what would be a good start, but if you would like to add or comment to his list please do!

This is what I had found and am seeking advice about these and what else I am going to be needing...

Valve Wrenches

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Automot ... 240%3A1318

Remote Starter Switch

http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?ID=1436346

Feel Gauges

http://www.drillspot.com/products/77310 ... t_12_Piece

Dai says:

The tools you have website links to are excellent and will do the job. I use the Hazet special valve adjust tools, great quality. I have one of those exact remote switches and I have some Proto long feeler gauges that must be over 25 years old and are still doing the job.

I really like Craftsman tools that are found at a larger Sears store. They sell complete tool sets that are often on sale and are a bargan for what they are. It is the best way to buy high quality tools for the money hands down. They make a line of professional polished long pattern combination wrenches that are superb. I have a full set of those from 7mm through 22mm. I also have the standard type of Craftsman combination wrenches and have multiples of the common sizes used. They are 10mm 12mm 13mm 14mm 17mm 19mm. You often need to have two wrenches of the same size when working on things.
Buying sockets and related tools is similar. I have 1/4 inch, 3/8 inch, 1/2 inch, and 3/4 inch drive socket sets. For you and what you want to do I would start out with a set that includes 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch drive ratchets and a complete set of sockets for each range. You will likely want a selection of extensions and perhaps a U-joint flex in each of the sizes. A set of deep sockets can be very handy to have. Look seriously at the large sets on sale because they often have a broad selection of what I listed above. Look critically at what tools are in the box. Often the metric and SAE are combined and you wind up with a limited selection of metric tools. The metric specific set are great. You will get a lot of great tools to get you going that way and can add to the set as you go. If you try to do that with Snap-on or the German tools you will pay a fortune. I have a few specific Snap-on tools as well as specialty tools from Hazet and Stahlwille etc. but they are for specific needs. I use tools a lot and am very happy with the Craftsman line. My first tools were a small metric 3/8 socket set by S+K in a little tin box. I still have them and use them but the predominate brand that I rely on are Craftsman. If you break anything you take the pieces into the store and they hand you a replacement no questions. I have broken a few tools over the years and they honor the warranty.

For pliers look at the German line of Knipex. My favorite, the best wire cutters and the Cobra pliers are the best tools like that out there, I have several of those.

If you are a professional using the tools for making a living investing in Mac or Snap-on makes some sense but they are super expensive. I use tools very often at work and on our own farm.

The water pumps on the stock GD motor are very G specific and very expensive. They have a different flange design that any other early Mercedes diesel motor. Bizarre. I am slowly working on a turbo motor to transplant into my G and I will use the ultra common and available water pump set up on that motor. It uses two belts instead of one. I have not looked into it but it might be possible to use an alloy flange and stock pump out of a 240D sedan set up. They are a single belt system like the G. It would match the crank pully but would require a different fan and fanclutch. Talk to your mechanic. If that person is familiar with older Mercedes diesel motors that swap of parts might be possible. You could get the correct flange that sits behind the pump from a junked 123 chassis 240D and the fan and fanclutch. Then the pump would be under $80. I do not know for sure if that is the case but it is worth investigating. Also the early 300D non turbos had a single belt and likely could provide the donor parts. If my waterpump goes out I will investigate those options. The cost of the G pump is over $300 and that is just insane.

You are lucky to have a mechanic who is willing to teach you how to do a valve adjust. Send that person business.

Good luck,

-Dai

stevegsmith

Re: Tool Sets? Recommendations Appreciated

Post#2 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:37 am

OEM hard line wrench. Makes bleeding (cracking) fuel lines, removing injectors, etc., that much easier. Worth the $55 or so.

Dai C

Re: Tool Sets? Recommendations Appreciated

Post#3 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:51 pm

I agree Steve, the part number on the tool is Hazet 4550-1.

For the G the hub nut claw wrench PN: (Mercedes) 460 589 02 07 00 fits the late style nuts. A must for the hub service. It is a 3/4 drive tool and I use a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer to connect to a torque wrench.

A tool that I use often is Snap-on SAM14A. It is a half inch drive socket that has a 14mm Allen that fits all of the plugs and drains on the G gearboxes (diffs, transmissions and the drain on the stock GD sump). A really right tool.

A couple of sizes of Crescent brand adjustable wrenches (made in the USA) are excellent tools and important to have around.

I try to support products that are made in our country first. If we don't support our own production we will loose the companies that make and sell them. The Craftsman tools I buy are US production as are the SK and Snap-on. Some of the tools I've mentioned are not produced here and are specific to the G. Knipex is in a class of its own, like the G.

-Dai

Return to “Info: Special Tools + Lubricants”