Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Wrench size to remove brake pads

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
autonovice

Wrench size to remove brake pads

Post#1 » Sat May 16, 2009 7:53 am

What is the allan wrench size to take the brake front & rear brake pads?
I dont have the right size and my Mac hard drive crashed last night.
Its for my '05 G55.

Thanks in advance. Minh

autonovice

Re: Wrench size to remove brake pads

Post#2 » Sun May 17, 2009 12:36 am

The G55 has a completely different set up than the G500; including front and rear.
The brake pads I bought are for the G500. They are the Rotex Gold which are dustless.
The website I bought from has the G55 & G500 to have the same
part numbers. Time to return the parts and put off this project for a while.

I wonder if the G brake pads are xref an S-Class AMG. I really need those dustless pads.

Oh, I should compare the parts thru the wheel opening before taking it apart. I only took one wheel off
an it was a PITA to put this back. The tire was heavy and only had the wheel off few inches from the ground.
I had to resort to having the wheel standing and have my daughter to eye balling the mounting holes.
I know there are jacks/dollies for truck tires but anything small and inexpensive for home use?

stevegsmith

Post#3 » Sun May 17, 2009 6:44 am

Minh,
Somewhere out there is a 14mm shaft, about 4 inches long, with only about an inch of threads, specifically designed for putting wheels back on. Idea is you screw the shaft (like a bolt) into one of the lug holes then you throw the wheel up on the shaft which automatically registers the other four lug holes.

You can make one yourself by ordering a long 14mm bold then cutting the hex head off.

I had one for about 5 minutes once then someone asked to look at it. Can't remember but it was either Chuck H or Dave G that made them.

ss

Dai C

Post#4 » Sun May 17, 2009 9:46 am

It was Dave's friend Chuque H who made them. There are differences in the wheels that makes it a little tricky. He made one for me and it would not fit in the Alloy's. So he make another that would work. I think it is important to measure the holes in the wheels you have to be sure about the size that would work for a tool. I will measure the tools I have. I think to be on the safe side I would choose the small shaft diameter tool.

-Dai

jonathan joseph

Post#5 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:35 am

Dai,

Are these tools made of aluminum so as not to scratch the alloys?

Jonathan

Dai C

Post#6 » Mon May 18, 2009 6:21 am

That tool should have been a part of the tool kit that comes with the truck. Thanks for the Part number, that is a bargan at that price.

Jonathan, these pins that Q made were machined out of steel. They have flats at the end so a wrench could be used to loosen it should it get a little tight to remove by hand. In practice there is no problem scratching a wheel unless it was slammed into the end. That would happen with an alloy pin I suspect. The first one he made was 15.9 mm and that probably works for steelies and some other wheels but would not fit in the bolt holes of my alloys. He made another one at 14.45 mm and that works great. It is a handy tool.

-Dai

autonovice

Post#7 » Mon May 18, 2009 1:23 pm

Great!! I will order two ... from my local dealer

stevegsmith

Post#8 » Mon May 18, 2009 1:38 pm

Otherwise Minh, just call me if you need help lifting your tires. I know how they can be heavy for some.
;)

autonovice

Post#9 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:47 pm

stevegsmith wrote:Otherwise Minh, just call me if you need help lifting your tires. I know how they can be heavy for some.
;)

Dude .. you should be living in San Fran .. and not Berzerkley!

stevegsmith

Post#10 » Mon May 18, 2009 7:04 pm

Jesus Minh, I was simply offering to help you lift your "heavy" wheels because of my superior strength. I wasn't referring to your wheel-shaped nuts for Godsakes! That's just plain weird.

G-willikers! :o

Return to “Info: Special Tools + Lubricants”