Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

U-joints again...

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Locked up

U-joints again...

Post#1 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:45 pm

I picked up a new U-joint from 4x4 club for my front driveshaft. I'm having a tough time finding a driveline shop to replace it. Has anyone successfully replaced one of these yet?

ontum

Re: U-joints again...

Post#2 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:22 pm

Hello,

Hey Locked up, what was your name? Is it Eric? You are the gent that I met at MogFest correct?

We deal with Driveline Service for our driveline needs. We've used them for years and like their work. They are out there by the airport. Give them a call, I'm sure I will be in a few months once I get my M104 motor situated in my G.

Locked up

Post#3 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:21 am

Yes that was me at Mogfest. I guess too many river crossings... I greased the U-joints recently and water came out of nearly all of them.

I went to Driveline specialties, and Six states, both say they can't do the peened in joints.

There has to be somebody out there that has attemped to replace these. Why would Vlad sell them?

Chris

Post#4 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:01 pm

Locked up wrote:There has to be somebody out there that has attemped to replace these. Why would Vlad sell them?

Because the early trucks did not have the joint
'peened in", it was held in by a normal "c" clip.

I have replaced the early style joint and it is pretty easy with the right c clip pliers, however you will need to have a competent machine shop mill your d-shaft a bit.

Titus

Post#5 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:34 pm

I replace them myself, using my own u-joints, and in more than one vehicle.
No rocket science, usually takes me about 30-45 min.
I am not into writing long stories, kinda lazy so you can check it at pointed three forum.
BTW I replace the peened ones, never seen one with C clip.

Return to “Tech: Driveline, Axle, Shafts, Bearings, Solve your Vibration Issues Here!”