Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

need help. driwing shaft flages.

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
traktorius

need help. driwing shaft flages.

Post#1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:18 am

hello,
my G is standing and waiting for rebalanced driving shafts. i took them off to balance because of vibration in transmission. i sent them all 2000km away for balancing, and got answer that two universal joints must to be replaced :( . so 400 USD for those 2 joints, and 120 USD for balancing.

but i'm worried about setting them back. is it very important to place in same position between gear box and axle? i made no any marks when was taking them out.

Thank YOU.

today got my rebalanced driving shafts with 2 replaced universal joints. vibration is the same like it was, TC bushings looks OK. engines also. my question is does shafts flanges, has to mach with TC flanges and axle flanges? if so, how to get them in proper position? there is no any marks. in 463 manual says
: "i Installation: Use new nuts.Turn yellow marking on transfer case input flange all the way to the bottom.Connect propeller shafts to front axle, rear axle and engine to transfer case. Ensure that the green marking of the propeller shafts on both sides of the transfer case is at the top.Tighten bolts diagonally across." but 460 has no markings, or they are gone.
if flanges alignment has no role to vibration what next??? disassemble transfer case?...
Last edited by traktorius on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gelande

Re: driwing shaft position

Post#2 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:55 am

You will find small arrows on each half, used to align the shaft halves by way of the slip joint.
Make sure the arrow on each half "lines up" or points directly at the arrow on the other half.

Do this before balancing.

There is a fellow on this forum who is Titus He has u-joint replacement kits for about $100 each as comparison, I forget price...so do a search for his posts in the classifieds.

regards and good luck

-m serpe
gwagenpreserve.com

Return to “Tech: Driveline, Axle, Shafts, Bearings, Solve your Vibration Issues Here!”