Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

2002 G500 Driveline Shaking/Vibrations / Driveshaft removal

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
ciscotech2007

2002 G500 Driveline Shaking/Vibrations / Driveshaft removal

Post#1 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:28 am

2002 G500

When driving at 25 to 40 MPH the truck shakes centrally. During this time shifted from drive into neutral, appears no change (i.e. engine RPM reduced but driveline still running at same speeds). Checked engine mounts, transmission mounts, tcase mounts; appear ok.

Appears G500s have vibration issues. Appears the majority of these vibrations is due to the three driveshafts/propeller shafts; rear driveshaft, front driveshaft and central shaft from transmission to transfercase. All of these shafts have CV joints with the rear and front driveshafts having non-boot dual u-joint type CVs and the central shaft having booted ball bearing type CV joints.

Unbolted front driveshaft to isolate which driveshaft may be out of balance or bad CV joints resulting in vibrations. Here's the odd part being a numerous Jeep owner. Once the front driveshaft was removed the g500 would not go into any gear when moving the shifter. The shifter would move from park, reverse, neutral and drive but nothing would happen. On my Jeeps, if you remove the front driveshaft the jeep's rear driveshaft would still operate the drivetrain and move the vehicle. Then I engaged the central locker and felt power restored to the drivetrain; and putting the truck in reverse and drive worked! Anyone know why you have to lock the central differential to get the truck to move without the front driveshaft installed? With ALL TIME 4 wheel drive... the truck should transfer power to the rear driveshaft to move the vehicle.

ciscotech2007

Re: 2002 G500 Driveline Shaking/Vibrations / Driveshaft removal

Post#2 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:34 am

(continued)

Once the central locker was engaged I drove the vehicle down the street and felt less vibration at the speeds I noticed before. So appears the front driveshaft needs rebalancing or new CV joints, etc.

I was hoping to use the truck with the front driveshaft removed, but I do not want to drive on the highway with the central differential locked and ABS disabled (which happens when you lock the central differential). And why when I lock the differential do I hear a air pump sound? Is that how the differentials are operated on the G500?

And finally... before I found the truck would not move unless I engaged the central differental, I shifted from park to drive and back again... finding that there was no power being applied to the drivetrain. When I shifted back to PARK I heard a slight grinding sound coming from the engine area. Not loud and not more than 2 seconds... like a gear trying to engage. I made sure when I removed the front driveshaft to not leave anything like bolts or something to get 'caught up' in the moving drivetrain parts. I noticed the transfercase side of the front driveshaft, I had to remove a bolt and pull the flange out to remove all the driveshaft bolts fully, then wood tap the flange back in place and secure with bolt.

ciscotech2007

Post#3 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:42 am

I contacted my local driveline shop, I live in Las Vegas, and they said they cannot balance these driveshafts (which they said they cannot balance any lexus driveshafts either). I was like WFT, it's a driveshaft. They said they have to ship the driveshaft out to LA, CA for balancing by a shop that does mercedes driveshaft work.

For people in my spot, what are my options for getting a balanced front driveshaft back into my truck?

Get a custom driveshaft made with normal c-clipped u-joints?
buy a new driveshaft?
buy a remanufactured driveshaft?
repair my driveshift by new cv joints and balance?

I ask these questions because once I get the front driveshaft done I will want to do the rear as well since there is still some vibrations after removing the front driveshaft. And then there's the central driveshaft with boots and ball bearings... which looks super fun to uninstall from the truck considering it's sandwiched between the transmission and tcase.

Help? advice? tips?

syncro_G

Post#4 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:31 am

Hi, I don't know that much about the 463 G-wagens so hopefully someone who knows better should weigh in.
Actually, there has been lots of discussion on P3 and here regarding driveshafts so you should do a search.

For the older G-wagens, you should not remove the front driveshaft. it drives the oil pump in the transfer case. without it, the case will quickly burn up. I don't know if that's the case with the 463 TC.

There are several outfits that make driveshafts. you need a place that works with spicer parts and services trucks.
balancing is critical on these driveshafts due to the angles the shafts make at the joints. many driveline places aren't familiar enough with those issues to get them right.

Return to “Tech: Driveline, Axle, Shafts, Bearings, Solve your Vibration Issues Here!”