Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

G500 - Front Wheel Bearing Change/Axle Service - Question

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
minuae

G500 - Front Wheel Bearing Change/Axle Service - Question

Post#1 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:49 am

I've ordered the parts necessary to do this job and have sought guidance on the procedure from the excellent photo log in the tech Section. Now, this may be a dumb question, but where a drift is being used to knock out/in the bearings could I use a press (providing I can get access to the bearing to be pusherd out/in)?

4x4abc

Re: G500 - Front Wheel Bearing Change/Axle Service - Question

Post#2 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:09 am

you can use a press

front wheel bearings on a G500? Already? Why?

minuae

Post#3 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:15 am

It's a '99 model with 338,000km on it and still on the original bearings. The front right hub has dark grease on it and there's some play in the bearings - so it seems about time to do this job.

4x4abc

Post#4 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:45 pm

yes, dark grease is not a good sign
do you have all the manuals?
http://4x4abc.com/G-Class/available.html

minuae

Post#5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:17 pm

Yes, thanks, I have a 2005 WIS, which I use for most things. I've just seen my profile is not filled in. I post as 'min' on pointed three.

minuae

Post#6 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:36 pm

An update. I've just done this job over the weekend and would like to say how damned good the tech article is and how much of a help it was in doing this job. There were a couple of differences for my G500, as follows:

1. There are no foam seals on the hubs.
2. There were no shims on the swivel housing.
3. No splash guard behind the brake disc.
4. You need to pull the ABS ring off the old CV joint and press it onto the new CV joint.
5. You need to pull the ABS sensor from the housing when removing the brake caliper.
6. The two bolts holding on the brake caliper are easily accessible with a normal 19mm socket and small extension bar.

I've also renewed the wipe seals on the ball joints. There is currently a thread going on, on P3 about this, with regard to putting the split seals on, with the U clips. I post as MiN on P3.

Return to “Tech: Driveline, Axle, Shafts, Bearings, Solve your Vibration Issues Here!”