Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Transfer Case Temps?

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Dude

Re: Transfer Case Temps?

Post#31 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:44 am

Yeah I tried the hail mary repair and replaced the valve stem seals, but no luck.

I also tried a few Italian tune ups, always good for a diesel. I just switched over to synthetic motor oil, hoping that the detergents will free up a stuck ring (if its a broken ring then I'm screwed). A leak down test and a shot of Marvel mystery oil in the cylinders is on the list too. I haven't run the diesel purge yet, but I figured that was more for injectors than cylinders.

schuhe

Post#32 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:56 pm

When I had the vehicle, it used no oil. But, I did not use it all that much. I did take it on 200-300 mile trips up the coast over three days duration, but no oil burning. I think the records showed frequent oil changes. I change according to the calendar and not just mileage. When I was a kid on the family farm clean oil in tractors and trucks was critical to long term operation. If we had a diesel or gasoline engine that was using oil and should not be, we would flush and then changed the oil frequently over the next few days of operation. That would often do the trick.

Broken rings are fairly rare, I believe. Overheating, perhaps?

Did you say that you did a compression check?

tom

vadimivanovich

Post#33 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:18 am

I could be wrong, but I figure that if Lubro-Moly is such a good solvent as to clean heavy carbon burned onto injectors, then it must be decent at cleaning the cylinder it gets sprayed into as well. Your injectors probably need it anyway. It made a huge difference with mine. Don't just let the engine idle with it, run as much wide-open-throttle as you can. Best is actual driving btu I was not adventurous enough to drive around with a jar of purge tied to my fender :shock:

Broken rings in a low mileage diesel... I just can't believe that's what happened. Stuck from sitting too much... totally plausible.

Best of luck.

Chris

Post#34 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:45 am

I have had the privilege of rebuilding several OM617 motors, of the dozens of motors that I have taken apart, every single example with over ~180,000 miles needed all 5 pistons replaced ($400 each) due to worn ring landings.
For those of you with higher mile OM617 motors: some oil burning is unavoidable until you do a full rebuild (~$4000 in parts).

For those of you with super low mile motors, like Dude: Carbon usually builds up and "cokes" the rings causing them to get stuck, in extreme cases this can score the cylinder liner which randomly/occasionally causes a hot oil fountain to erupt out of the dipstick tube under heavy/long duration engine loads!

Dude, I think your G is one of these extreme cases, I know since 2006-7 your G was rarely operated, besides one or two trips back and forth from the Bay Area to Tahoe that motor never really got any chances to fully "heat cycle", its the short trips to the mailbox that typically kill these low mile motors.

schuhe

Post#35 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:01 pm

Chris,

You could be correct. I bought the vehicle many years ago from a family that owned it from new, and sent here from Germany in 1980-81. It was used on their ranch and later at the local airport to tow aircraft around, and some trips to town (10 miles round trip). When I bought it still had the original Michelin tires. This means this engine seldom was fully heated enough to burn off contaminates, moisture, excess fuel. I had several vehicles too, and used the G very sparingly, although I think that I may have taken it on longer trips that the original owner had. It maybe that when I sold the vehicle, it was put into more steady service, putting use-pressure on the engine that could have been coupled with the need for more oil changes, or engine flushing, etc.

History can be very important, yet difficult to gather.

Best wishes,

Tom

Dude

Post#36 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:39 am

Tom,

I confirmed your hypothesis about the hot parking brake yesterday. I assumed that it was from excessive heat radiating off the TC, but was wrong once again.

After an hour on the highway with the rear window flap rolled up (open) and the front windows rolled down and ambient temps in the low 70s, the parking brake was hot to the touch (especially near the base). I pulled over on the side of the highway for just long enough to zip up the back window and roll up the front windows and within 10 minutes of driving the handle was cool to the touch.

I'll pull the center console and see if I can seal it up a bit better.

I am in the process of digitizing your service records, BTW. I always appreciate having those things.

Compression test, leak down, test diesel purge and engine flush are all on my to do list but a complete overhaul of the brakes is at the top. I've just been busy with selling off my other vehicles and I've had to use the G to haul parts back and forth between PA and CT the last few weeks.

offroad-world

Post#37 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:47 am

Dude wrote:Tom,

I confirmed your hypothesis about the hot parking brake yesterday. I assumed that it was from excessive heat radiating off the TC, but was wrong once again.

After an hour on the highway with the rear window flap rolled up (open) and the front windows rolled down and ambient temps in the low 70s, the parking brake was hot to the touch (especially near the base). I pulled over on the side of the highway for just long enough to zip up the back window and roll up the front windows and within 10 minutes of driving the handle was cool to the touch.

I'll pull the center console and see if I can seal it up a bit better.

I am in the process of digitizing your service records, BTW. I always appreciate having those things.

Compression test, leak down, test diesel purge and engine flush are all on my to do list but a complete overhaul of the brakes is at the top. I've just been busy with selling off my other vehicles and I've had to use the G to haul parts back and forth between PA and CT the last few weeks.

check if this seal is OK between the TC and body , this often causes heat , dirt and exhaust smoke into the G .

mfg. guido .
Attachments
CIMG0682.JPG
CIMG0683.JPG

schuhe

Post#38 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:12 pm

Dude,

I would love to hear the result of the engine testing you are about to do.

I am happy that the "chimney effect" has proven itself. Very happy it is not your T/C or some other part getting way too hot. Guido, you may be on to something with that grommet. That part does not look familiar to me. I will need to check my EPC to see the exploded photo of where it lives in there.

Tom

inkblotz

Post#39 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:32 pm

I had replaced that on my 460 as I was getting a lot of noise, heat and vibration from the TC.

mark

VRock

Post#40 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:46 pm

I did a lot of research and decided on this:

641f7be896a89b5318d4bfb027187022.jpg
641f7be896a89b5318d4bfb027187022.jpg (32.4 KiB) Viewed 740 times

It's here:
http://www.germanautoparts.com/productdisplay/123039
though, I bought off eBay for an overall better deal.
Also, this is in litre bottles, and you only need two.

Spendy oil, but the shifting of the T case is definitely improved, and after running the dunes this past weekend plus all the highway driving I was happy to notice a more comfortably warm felt temperature on the handle/boot area.

I had to do something, and once my research was complete I realized that I had GL-5 oil in the case and felt that I had to get that poison out of there. It's the deterioration on yellow metals caused by the GL-5 formulation which is the concern, and these boxes have synchros.

W460 Fluid Capacities.jpg

Up to 90 weight in scorching hot climates. I'd not consider Bend, OR torrid, so 80 weight seems reasonable.
This oil I chose is a base 75, sure, which in sub freezing temps here will be nice. When the heat rises a bit the VI improvers will bring the oil to an 80 weight, as the factory specified.

My .02

Return to “Tech: Driveline, Axle, Shafts, Bearings, Solve your Vibration Issues Here!”