Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

280GE Axle and T Case Troubles

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Loke

Re: 280GE Axle and T Case Troubles

Post#11 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:53 pm

If you can solve the rotation problem (turn it upside-down... :shock: ) you still have to find a diff./wheels/gearing that match the combined transmission and the engines rpm/torques.
Spring/dampers, caster, camber, power steering, steering shaft, pitman arm, tie rod, drag link, toe in will be small issues. ;)
CV joints fail on Toyotas too - doubt they're stronger, hopefully you will be able to sell such a vehicle later!

Teufel Hunden

Post#12 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:17 pm

Loke wrote:If you can solve the rotation problem (turn it upside-down... :shock: ) you still have to find a diff./wheels/gearing that match the combined transmission and the engines rpm/torques.
Spring/dampers, caster, camber, power steering, steering shaft, pitman arm, tie rod, drag link, toe in will be small issues. ;)
CV joints fail on Toyotas too - doubt they're stronger, hopefully you will be able to sell such a vehicle later!

I knew there would be someone against this. I have a built 91 Toyota 4Runner that has a mixture of Chevy and Toyota parts. The front axle is from a 85 Toyota pickup and is built with ARB airlocker, Yukon cryo treated 5.29 gears, Longfield 30 spline axle shafts/brifields (CV joints), and Longfield cyro treated hub gears. I built this axle from junk yard axle and have less then $2k in it, I can ensure you that this Toyota is a lot strong then the Mercedes axle. The strength axle shafts/brifields can be purchased for the Land Cruiser axles. I have several friends who are running 37" tires on their Land Cruiser with stock axles, they aren't mall crawlers and frequently off-road on rocks without breakage.

You can re gear both Toyota axles for the price of doing one of the G Wagon's axles. The issue with getting the front axle to turn in the correct direction can easily be corrected with a Toyota divorced transfer case adapter. I actual have a couple gear driven Toyota t-cases sitting in my garage and the Toyota gear driven cases can easily be fitted with lower gearing if desired.

I don't think getting the caster/camber or any of the other items you listed will be difficult to overcome.

Why would I want to sell a vehicle that I've put so much time and money in?

I can not say that I'll ever do any of these things to the 280GE. It all comes down to how much damage I find inside my axle. The Toyota axle and G Wagon axle are similar in design and set up and I've rebuilt several of them.

Thanks again to everyone's advice and opinions.

vadimivanovich

Post#13 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:19 pm

I love it. Custom stuff is just thinking outside the box. Sometime it works well and sometimes not, but go for it!

In this case I do think the MB axles are really tough, but yours has a ton of wear, which is why the CV broke. Not a big deal, but the rest of it should be gone through to insure it is ready for the off-road use you clearly have a taste for and that the G was built for :mrgreen:

Return to “Tech: Driveline, Axle, Shafts, Bearings, Solve your Vibration Issues Here!”