Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Play in the driveshafts

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
reinhardtius

Play in the driveshafts

Post#1 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:30 am

Okay so a little background info is always good. I have spent the past 7 months loving and trying to fix everything I can (while going almost broke in the process!) and it has been a lot of fun learning. My exhaust hangers all fell off from the exhaust piping leaving the exhaust rattling and while going around exit ramps I could hear the exhaust piping before the muffler smacking on the driveshaft that goes from the T case to the front axle.

It sounded cruel to my ears, so I purchased a new universal hanger and secured the exhaust pipe so it wouldn't smack the driveshaft anymore. Well it works great, no more rattling, but when I was pulling myself from underneath the G I grabbed one of the driveshafts and it had a little play in in. I could twist it back in forth, probably less than 3mm in each direction. I am unsure if this is normal, but the shaft going from the t case to the rear axle had the same play as the one going to the front axle. Just curious. I don't know too much about the driveshafts on this car. inform me please!

Also, I put a roof rack on the G wagen from my friends old 1997 Volvo s90. I had to buy 65 inch load bars, but the feet fit perfectly on the G. New larger style mirrors too. Please comment and let me know what you think!

stevegsmith

Re: Play in the driveshafts

Post#2 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:11 am

I think a little rotational play is normal but not side to side. I'm sure someone else will have more to say on the subject.

The rack looks good, nice fit.

Gelande

Post#3 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:51 am

is the play in the u-joints or in the gearbox??

reinhardtius

Post#4 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:03 am

stevegsmith wrote:I think a little rotational play is normal but not side to side. I'm sure someone else will have more to say on the subject.

The rack looks good, nice fit.

The play is rotational, not side to side.

mserpe wrote:is the play in the u-joints or in the gearbox??

In the u joints I believe. I was grabbing one of the driveshafts while pulling myself out from underneath and it kinda moved rotationally, but definitely not side to side, I wasn't sure how precise the geometry of the 4x4 system was, if there should not be any play or if it should be able to shift rotationally < 3mm (guesstimate).

What is play in the gearbox?
She shifts just fine in all four modes (2wd, 4wd, 4wd hi, 4wd lo). I Idk maybe I am a hypochondriac for my G Wagen.

stevegsmith

Post#5 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:37 am

There should be no play in the U-joints. The rotational play I was referring to would be play in the gearbox. In other words, if you grab it and rotate both ways, you'd be able to hear or feel the gears rock just a wee bit. I'm not talking about much. Like I said, a little is to be expected.

Mike, you agree?

reinhardtius

Post#6 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:00 am

stevegsmith wrote:There should be no play in the U-joints. The rotational play I was referring to would be play in the gearbox. In other words, if you grab it and rotate both ways, you'd be able to hear or feel the gears rock just a wee bit. I'm not talking about much. Like I said, a little is to be expected.

Mike, you agree?

Oh wait. No, there is no play in the U joints. The play is from the gearbox now I understand what you were saying.

Gelande

Post#7 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:34 am

yes there will be a little bit in the diffs and a little in the t case

if your diffs are not shim'd correct (incorrect backsplash and mesh) then they might be looser than you want. would advise drain of diff lube, inspect for metal, then pop off diff cover to inspect ring gear mesh marks. lift rear end into air, have friend rotate a tire to spin diff while you look.

Return to “Tech: Driveline, Axle, Shafts, Bearings, Solve your Vibration Issues Here!”