Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

460 rear axle bearing

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Locked up

460 rear axle bearing

Post#1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:07 pm

I developed a small oil leak out of my rear axle, took the axle out. I'm trying to figure out how the bearing comes off the axle so I can replace the seal. I got the lock nut off that is supposed to keep the bearing on the axle. Now, it seems the bearing should slide off, but it be stuck.

I've had it in the vise, and smacked it a bunch of different ways... any ideas?

I'm thinking heat, but I'd like to not torch the seal. Is the bearing pressed on? or should it slip off easily?

Gelande

Re: 460 rear axle bearing

Post#2 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:54 am

Yes they are pressed on, so you have to use a press to get it off.

Only other way is to drop it in a hot oil bath and then maybe, only maybe.

You should be able to find a parts supply store or shop that would have a press, maybe a tractor place.

Otherwise, you can buy them for $150 at harbor freight.

Locked up

Post#3 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:14 pm

I cut it off... I was wondering why the both G wagen parts suppliers only had a "kit", now I know.

So getting it back on requires a press as well I guess.

Gelande

Post#4 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:26 pm

"in the field" you can in a pinch get it on there with a drift and small hammer, lightly, going around and around in circles to set the race....but yah, way way easier to get it right and straight with a press.

I'm sure a local shop would have one....one of our old school local auto parts stores here does it for $25, removal or install.

Return to “Tech: Driveline, Axle, Shafts, Bearings, Solve your Vibration Issues Here!”