Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Want to buy Old G , willing to spent about 10-13K

Vehicle marketplace. Restored, drivers, projects, rollers, etc...
dcurbet

Re: Want to buy Old G , willing to spent about 10-13K

Post#21 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:43 pm

If you came across five of them in the last two months Then why still search ?

Tolikz05

Post#22 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:04 pm

dcurbet wrote:No one wants a rhd?

NO ONE WANTS A RHD ! :) not even cheap :)

its been on sale for half a year now if not more...

Tolikz05

Post#23 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:06 pm

dcurbet wrote:If you came across five of them in the last two months Then why still search ?

because there are certain things I don't like about those specific ones... like frame rust, or it being right-hand drive...

Baddy

Post#24 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:16 pm

Why don't you check mobile.de and autoscout24 websites? Quite a few in your price range there...and that's the cheapest they go, except on some auctions that have a myriad of limitations for an ordinary person...

SkiWill

Post#25 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:23 pm

Gelande wrote:My suggestion would be patience. Hold out for a rust free, accident free G with a destroyed drivetrain. You can pick this up for $4k-$12k. Then redo the drivetrain over time with new parts and you have practically a new G. Usually the whole drivetrain is not blown, its just one portion like an axle, a diff, a t-case, a tranny, or an engine.

I have bought several Gwagens like this. No rust, all under $10k

A few of them were from towing incidents. Car broke down or whatever, owner did not request a flat tow, drivetrain destroyed, needs new axle and diff, maybe a t-case. These cars get totaled out and sold at insurance auctions despite no accident damages.

someday Ill get around to posting some of these cars up as project examples and share the good and the bad

It'd be welcome if you could share when you come across something like that. I was looking for a clean G500, but would probably be happier getting a mechanical project for less money and restoring as I go. Gs will always be expensive, but I'd happily rebuild drivetrains before dealing with rust.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but sounds like we may be interested in a similar type of vehicle which isn't usually what most G buyers are looking for.

dcurbet

Post#26 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:07 pm

i assume this is an attempt to get a G just the way you like it, if you have tons of time and enjoy projects (which most people here do) then you would write off some of the costs as time well spent but not at all a financial savings - maybe a short term gain since part costs still catch up to you in the long run.

Suppatime

Post#27 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:50 pm

I'll be honest, I think I still hold the record for the cheapest G here in the US. I spent $4,000 on mine back in 2012.

Ask me how much I've put into it, and if I enjoy driving it yet.
Filmmaker, Musician, Car Nitwit
Hollywood, CA USA

1980 Mercedes 300GD SWB - OM606/5-speed "Puchy"
2003 Mercedes C32 AMG "Dolores"- FLOODED AND TOTALED
2015 Kia Soul - BOOOOOOOO

vadimivanovich

Post#28 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:29 am

Sorry to burst your bubble Drew, but I know of a tie with your spend, but it was for an early W463! Prices ain't goin' down any more.
"The way you think is the way you live"

G power

Post#29 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:13 am

It is like Facebook or Netflix stock we should have bought them when they were $28 and $13 we watch them go up while our opinion about them is shitty and we want to by them now at till fulfilled order @ $28 &$13 and we are willing to wait the question is are we going to be alive by that time to enjoy them?????

Just a long metaphor.
Necessity is the mother of inventions.

HolsonY

Post#30 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:26 am

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/ ... 23308.html

Might be able to negotiate down a bit but looks nice and has AC
18 G550, 19 Nissan Leaf S | IG: @gunthergwagen

Return to “G Vehicles FS/FT/WTB”