Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

81 300GD Single-cab

Vehicle marketplace. Restored, drivers, projects, rollers, etc...
apple

81 300GD Single-cab

Post#1 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:34 pm

Funny how many of these seem to end up in Oregon.. :D

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto ... 13625.html

also spotted a few years ago here.. cool little truck
http://www.oldparkedcars.com/2016/08/19 ... wagon.html

vadimivanovich

Re: 81 300GD Single-cab

Post#2 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:15 pm

Pretty cool, but this appears to be a custom chop-job. Seems nicely done, but the details are hard to see in the pics.
"The way you think is the way you live"

Otiswesty

Post#3 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:27 pm

Looks like 2850 mm LWB like my project. Rear window is a giveaway along with some other small details, as Vadim noted. Overall a reasonably well done conversion. Maybe it had a bad rusty rear end.

This is new to me:
"Turbo diesel has correct, but modified aluminum G-wagon oil pan."
Is it a G oil pan modified to fit the sedan motor or sedan oil pan modified to work in a G class?
Attachments
SingleCabCL.jpg
SingleCabCL.jpg (41.88 KiB) Viewed 316 times
Window.jpg

vadimivanovich

Post#4 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:20 pm

Yeah, that caught my attention too. I very seriously doubt the real G pan was used. If so, it should be a one-piece all-alloy unit - easy to identify by sight.
"The way you think is the way you live"

Otiswesty

Post#5 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:28 am

The Sprinter cargo van firewall has the correct window and can be found pretty cheap used. They are often removed when the vans leave fleet service in order to easily connect the cab and cargo areas.

stelzen

Post#6 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:54 pm

Thanks for your input. The oil pan was taken from the 300N/A motor and was mated to the front section of a turbo upper oil pan. The Cab itself was from the G-wagon club in Dortmond, Germany. Indeed they cut the cab off a panel van just behind the vans bulkhead. If you understood early build numbers the cab and chassis is also the panel van. It could have been one or the other. The rear window was a pass through to the back of the panel. If you look really close you may see that there is a cut out factory panel to put the horizontal rear window in. The lower panel van and cab and chassis remains the same. You can find that on epc.tekinfo.com.

Return to “G Vehicles FS/FT/WTB”