Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

How the public can report Illegal Dealers, Importers, and Vehicles to be Investigated

Vehicle marketplace. Restored, drivers, projects, rollers, etc...
Gelande

How the public can report Illegal Dealers, Importers, and Vehicles to be Investigated

Post#1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:11 pm

The CBP wants your help and now makes it so easy!

There seems to be quite the influx of Gwagens, Rovers, Land Cruisers, some legal, some not.

Looks like the CBP have made it easier for public to let them know about possible wrong doers or incorrectly imported cars and trucks.

If anyone ever truly has solid reasons to suspect wrong doing (please review the specific rules first) by any G dealer or any importer, the following link can initiate a request for investigation:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/forms/illegal_act

Nonconforming vehicles less than 25 years old entering the United States must be brought into compliance, exported, or destroyed.

Vehicles over 25 years old are exempt from EPA and DOT requirements, although you will still need to obtain and prepare EPA and DOT paperwork to provide to a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer in order to clear your vehicle through CBP.

What more can you do? If you check out a vehicle, and even if you don't like it, ask to see these papers.
Its great to keep all sellers on their toes and aware of what's required by law.

More on this here and links to required forms EPA:3520 and DOT:HS7

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/218/kw/vehicle%20import/related/1
[url]
https://help.cbp.gov/ci/fattach/get/465 ... 3520-1.pdf[/url]

https://help.cbp.gov/ci/fattach/get/46595/0/filename/DOT+Form+HS-7.pdf
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 4.10.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 4.10.28 PM.png (106.1 KiB) Viewed 3212 times
Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 4.10.02 PM.png

AlanMcR

Re: How the public can report Illegal Dealers, Importers, and Vehicles to be Investigated

Post#2 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:38 pm

Clearing out the shady dealers would be a long term benefit to the G community. Also, if the sellers are cutting corners on paperwork, I'll hazard a guess that they are cutting corners elsewhere too.
...Alan

nihil

Re: How the public can report Illegal Dealers, Importers, and Vehicles to be Investigated

Post#3 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:03 pm

Stickied. Anyone buying a grey market import should be aware of the details.
1982 300GD LWB RHD

Otiswesty

Post#4 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:41 pm

Much better to buy a Europa imported vehicle that has been owned by US auto enthusiasts for many years than to deal with shady new imports and a fresh coat of paint.
461.213, 463.241

Otiswesty

Post#5 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:44 pm

Just FYI, vehicles 21 years old with original engine are EPA exempt, makes the import process a little easier and cheaper too.

The same form Mike posted, a little lower down. Exemption code E
Attachments
EPAexempt.png
461.213, 463.241

Rutherfoto

Post#6 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:00 pm

Thanks for posting this info!

I'm forwarding to some people in the Land Cruiser community. A vey shady website has just popped up claiming they will be legally importing 2016/17 Land Cruiser 79 series from AU.

http://l79-america.com/#home

Again, thanks for posting. This info could potentially save some people from loosing an asset or a lot of money!
Jonathan Rutherford
www.rutherfoto.com
1990 300GD
1987 HJ75 Land Cruiser
2015 Toyota Land Cruiser

searcj01

Post#7 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:46 pm

Anyone here dealt with Dutch Safari Co out of Austin, TX? Curious if they are considered one of the 'good guys' or not.
http://dutchsafaricompany.com/

Nathansharkey

Post#8 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:42 pm

I am not going to report someone for driving a new diesel import G-Class. I might be jealous of them for doing it but I won’t be reporting them. Good for them if they found a way to do it.

dcurbet

Post#9 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:37 pm

There are multiple ways to bring in a non compliant vehicle for temporary use stateside. I think a year is max though.

Otiswesty

Post#10 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:21 pm

Gelande wrote:Nonconforming vehicles less than 25 years old entering the United States must be brought into compliance, exported, or destroyed.

Vehicles over 25 years old are exempt from EPA and DOT requirements, although you will still need to obtain and prepare EPA and DOT paperwork to provide to a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer in order to clear your vehicle through CBP.

What more can you do? If you check out a vehicle, and even if you don't like it, ask to see these papers.
Its great to keep all sellers on their toes and aware of what's required by law.
]

I have imported a few cars in the last couple of years. One was over 25 years old, two were between 21 and 25 years old. Now when you import a car, you basically get no paperwork. The DMV here asked for a bunch of signed papers that basically don't exist any more. All of this is done electronically now. Even the RI that did the two younger cars provided little beyond the sticker in the door jam.

I would hesitate to go reporting a car as illegally imported because it is missing paperwork or some conversion items that you would otherwise expect.
461.213, 463.241

Return to “G Vehicles FS/FT/WTB”