Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

WTB: G-Wagon in CA

Vehicle marketplace. Restored, drivers, projects, rollers, etc...
dcurbet

Re: WTB: G-Wagon in CA

Post#11 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:00 am

I don't know either - have seen some posts in this board but haven't looked in depth. I thought 5-6k would get it done? Or did I mis-read

vadimivanovich

Post#12 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:03 am

$7-8K, typically, but someone like Covello who just did this could better say
"The way you think is the way you live"

Chris

Post#13 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:09 pm

Yes, paging Covello, we want to know how much a CARB sticker runs these days...
IG: #traildustrestoration

mogwild

Post#14 » Wed May 03, 2017 1:51 pm

ELI5, so, it's ONE company that can do the California Cert, and one company only? And they can charge...whatever they want? How is that not a monopoly or sham? (outsider looking in)
-trev

vadimivanovich

Post#15 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:50 pm

Trev, it IS a sham, racket, highway robbery, illegal... you name it. Just try to challenge them. Who's going to pony up the dough to sue? What would you win if successful?

Welcome to California, where many laws exist but are not enforced, and laws that don't exist are. It's very simple, actually. Years ago I heard that this certification "arrangement" was through some sort of mafia connection. No idea if that's true. It's like California's concealed-carry permits. You can apply for one all you like, but you will never get one. The law says you can have one, but the po-lice have a no-issue policy.

FWIW, I'm not advocating anything, either way. It's just upsetting to live in one of the best places on earth and we can't even get our own laws straight.

If this is too political, I'll pull it. My apologies, in advance.
"The way you think is the way you live"

dcurbet

Post#16 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:32 pm

Well, this whole law of 25 years was lobbied by the automakers to start with to protect their own interests so 25 is ridiculous, way too long to have any kind of decent life left out of the vehicle... no politics there just $$

dcurbet

Post#17 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:55 pm

so, its 6500 - CEE installs a diesel particulate filter (or some less complex variation of one) then they test it and you re done. 8 weeks, the car s done! and you go straight to DMV and register your car. Sounds easy.
If i was in Cali and i had a diesel G in mind thats just the extra tax you pay for the pleasure. It is what it is.
since you re looking at a g500 i think all of those are CA able (Europa or not)

Beater_Bimmer

Post#18 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:50 pm

BUMP

sjung213

Post#19 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:41 pm

dcurbet wrote:so, its 6500 - CEE installs a diesel particulate filter (or some less complex variation of one) then they test it and you re done. 8 weeks, the car s done! and you go straight to DMV and register your car. Sounds easy.
If i was in Cali and i had a diesel G in mind thats just the extra tax you pay for the pleasure. It is what it is.
since you re looking at a g500 i think all of those are CA able (Europa or not)

What if we were talking about a gasoline G? Would that cost 6500 as well???

dcurbet

Post#20 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:14 pm

Not 100% sure will find out

Return to “G Vehicles FS/FT/WTB”