Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Brake upgrade on the G

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Dai C

Brake upgrade on the G

Post#1 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:31 pm

First of all I have to say thanks to both Amzimmy and Fernweh for their help getting the components. Karl sold me a set of rebuilt calipers from his spares only to find out that they were not right for my machine. Instead of just getting them back he found the correct ones in Germany, and found a very creative way of getting them to me. Thanks Karl and thanks again to the "courier". Michel, I am still unclear about how I have these beautiful rotors but Thanks Again and I'll leave it at that!

I was very interested in improving braking on my '85 300GD. I was looking for pads and more interesting rotors as well as rear shoe compound choices but nothing was coming to the surface. I bought the calipers from Karl because I felt that there was a problem with the stock ones and my thinking was I would install those and rebuild mine and have a pair on the shelf. Then Michel came through with these rotors. They are beautifully made, each set has been checked for correct specs and the detail and materials are remarkable. There are built in wear and temperature indicators and they are slotted. They are a Perfect fit. I mean really perfect.

My brakes were ready for pads but I had an intermittent pull to the left under firm braking. This is never good in a left hand drive environment and things have been snowy, icy and wet. So I was able to find the time to get them on the truck. (The big vineyard is under 2 feet of snow and so is the winery in Mac).

First impressions are a very different and firm brake feel. I am amazed. They need to be broken in with care but it is obvious the rotors are a very big improvement. Powerbrake supplied them with Jurid pads. I decided to go with those. I will let you know how they work as they get used. The calipers cured the pull.

Here is a link to Powerbrake: http://www.powerbrake.co.za/tech_info/tech.htm

The articles are well written. I think Michel is really happy with his set on Muffetta (300GD+).

I found bleeding the dry calipers to be tricky. The most difficult is the inboard piston bleeder (lower solo bleeder). I just could not get all of the tiny air bubbles of air out of there (on both sides). This was using a pressure bleeder and my son Boone doing the classic brake pedal routine. I have a rock solid pedal but I will go back and bleed again after some miles.

I put some more miles on it today. Smooth and straight. Excellent feel, I can't wait so really see what they can do.

-Dai
Attachments
stockbrake.jpg
padview.jpg
powerbrakeG.jpg

Gelande

Re: Brake upgrade on the G

Post#2 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:06 am

Dai,

if your old calipers have any life left, or can be rebuilt (I have the rebuild kits) please let me know.
Tristan's axle shaft blew and took out the caliper from heat, on the driver side. His car is stranded at Darren Collie's. We need a caliper (I have none left, sold out), and also any parts to rebuild that axle, or replace. If anyone has a good axle, I have sold 8 of them in the past 6 months, I don't have anything for Tristan, let us know.

Also Mariano in Florida needs a caliper too, I forget which side. Another stranded G.

Dai C

Re: Brake upgrade on the G

Post#3 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:09 am

mserpe wrote:Dai,

if your old calipers have any life left, or can be rebuilt (I have the rebuild kits) please let me know.
Tristan's axle shaft blew and took out the caliper from heat, on the driver side. His car is stranded at Darren Collie's. We need a caliper (I have none left, sold out), and also any parts to rebuild that axle, or replace. If anyone has a good axle, I have sold 8 of them in the past 6 months, I don't have anything for Tristan, let us know.

Also Mariano in Florida needs a caliper too, I forget which side. Another stranded G.

Mike,
I have no doubt my calipers can be rebuilt. They are the two line calipers not the single hydraulic line versions. They will need pistons and rebuild kits or do the kits have new pistons? Mine are rusty city. I would be happy to help but would want to be able to replace them. Karl knows where to get rebuilt calipers like the ones I installed. The rebuilder has both styles of calipers.

-Dai

Return to “Tech: Brakes and Steering”