Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

disk brake upgrade?

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
tallgrass

disk brake upgrade?

Post#1 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:49 pm

is it possible to upgrade the disk brakes and disk drum conversion? i have a 460 and would love better brakes, what is the cure? if any.

Gelande

Re: disk brake upgrade?

Post#2 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:45 am

Ultimate setup I have seen that was home done was to Switch to Porsche 928S or similar ABS brakes in the front, and swap rear axle to 463 style with rear discs, swap rear calipers to Porsche non-ABS. You will need to run at least a 16" wheel, and spacers on the front to accomodate for wider 463 rear axle. You will need to get the correct diffs that match front and back.

If there are issues matching diffs, you might be able to mate the 460 diff case to the 463 axle tubes.
I have seen that once in Europe, but looks hard.

Another idea is to get custom rear driveshafts made that look like 463 design, but dimensions of 460 + width of drum and then weld mount tabs for calipers.

Or check with ORC.de, they have some pricey "kits".

any other ideas out there??

cheapest way to get better brakes??
1. remove excess weight from vehicle
2. get much better braking tires with sipes in the tread
3. integrate an additional brake vacuum booster

tallgrass

Re: disk break upgrade?

Post#3 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:04 pm

i am not looking for the ultimate i am looking for solid better. hopefuly from the merc parts bins like older s class cars.
thoughts. thank for the imput.

Return to “Tech: Brakes and Steering”