Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Steering wheel turned to the left?

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
reinhardtius

Steering wheel turned to the left?

Post#1 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:38 pm

So this is probably the dumbest question but I have to ask. I don't ever remember my steering wheel being so off. Usually when you are going straight the steering wheel should be straight and the start aligned properly. The past month I've noticed the steering wheel is shifted to the left. Major alignment issue? What has happened here?

Picture of wheel when going completely straight.

Gelande

Re: Steering wheel turned to the left?

Post#2 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:41 am

- redo alignment first and check for psi in tires
- then check the bar that connects the axle to the frame, when you lift a 460 as high as yours there is always side pull on this unit, so check bushings for play
- check steering rod adjustments

drcevin

Post#3 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:03 pm

screw all that, just take the steering wheel off and but it back on straight, takes bout 5min. :lol:

reinhardtius

Post#4 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:11 pm

drcevin wrote:screw all that, just take the steering wheel off and but it back on straight, takes bout 5min. :lol:

It's funny you say that, Doc! I've determined the drag link to be bent, thus the steering wheel being turned to the left. I'm going to see if I can find a used drag link and in the meantime I'm ordering a 461 style steering wheel and I'll adjust for the difference as a temporary solution. As far as I'm able to tell there is not a large alignment issue, but wouldn't be the first time I was incorrect.

Anyone want my old steering wheel for $120.00? Maybe a trade for a used drag link?

jonathan joseph

Post#5 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:08 pm

Much like many of your other attempts that 461 steering wheel should make everything right. Forget about any real mechanics. I think the aftermarket sclocksters have got it all figured out. Maybe some finely balanced chrome 22's will solve it.

Jonathan

reinhardtius

Post#6 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:36 am

Jonathan,

Already rolling on 22's - ordered a set from someone over on Benzworld a few weeks back. The G looks badass. Ordering new drag link next week, just got off the phone with Steve. Finding the 461 steering wheel while I'm at it.

Hunter

Bruce

Post#7 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:24 pm

I'm just curious what bent the drag link. If as you say the steering wheel just moved to the left in the last month or so, that would imply that the drag link was recently bent. Normally it takes quite a jolt to bend a drag link. Did you run into something very hard with one front wheel?

Bruce

reinhardtius

Post#8 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:50 pm

I did actually. My parents moved into a new house and I was helping them move stuff to the house with the G and upon my exit from the house I was driving up the EXTREMELY narrow driveway and turned around to wave goodbye and I ran into the left side cement retaining wall and popped the 14" curb very very hard. was only going maybe 8-10 miles an hour. I got out and did a quick look around and everything looked just fine, but then again I was in a hurry to catch a train back to school. Lesson learned; drive slowly in and out of the driveway and NEVER wave goodbye to your parents

It's unfortunate, but this lesson will set me back 271.50. Drag link being ordered next week, 461 steering wheel ordered yesterday.

http://img149.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picture1olf.png

Hunter

g-amg

Post#9 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:52 am

drcevin wrote:screw all that, just take the steering wheel off and but it back on straight, takes bout 5min. :lol:

Doc, I wish it was as easy as that....

You have to factor in the Turn Signal Trigger Block on the steering shaft.

If one just "Straightens" the steering wheel, then the Turn Signal Cancel function will not work correctly... Ask me how I know...... :o

reinhardtius

Post#10 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:42 am

g-amg wrote:

Doc, I wish it was as easy as that....

You have to factor in the Turn Signal Trigger Block on the steering shaft.

If one just "Straightens" the steering wheel, then the Turn Signal Cancel function will not work correctly... Ask me how I know...... :o

Looks like I lucked out here - my turn signal trigger block doesn't work anyway LOL. After making a turn I have to manually turn off the turn signal. Grr!

Can I kill two birds with one stone here? How do I fix that too?

and WTF is this message forum alert? "Your message contains too many smilies. The maximum number of smilies allowed is 2." I guess clubgwagen.com doesn't like smilies..

Return to “Tech: Brakes and Steering”