Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Gear Ratio

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
gunit

Gear Ratio

Post#1 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:08 pm

I want to thank you guys for answering some of my questions. I appreciate it you guys rock. Since I am new to the g wagen world and here in Calgary, alberta I am pretty sure I am the only one that has a 460 I am relying on the internet to find out all I can. I have the 300 gd and I have put the biggest tires I can fit under it and still at 120 kms it sounds like the poor diesel is spinning to about 4 or 5 grand. Is there a kit I can buy to change the gear ratio or is this just one of those things that I am going to have to live with.

Thanks guys

Mike

jonathan joseph

Re: Gear Ratio

Post#2 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:24 am

Mike

120kph is about 75mph, the absolute max speed I can hit usually on the flat with my 300GD. I'd expect to be running very high rpms at that speed. My tach doesn't work but I think you'd expect to be up around 4500 rpm.
How do you feel about your low end power with those big tires annd stock gears? What size tires are you running? The more top end speed you get with larger tires the less low end acceleration you'll have.
What transmission do you have?
What is the current gearing of your diffs? There is a tag on the axle that shows the gears ratios. Different ring and pinion sets are available but pretty pricey, I believe about $800 US per diff, new. Sometimes they are available used from someone swapping out. I think someone on one of the forums was just offering to trade a set, can't remember what ratio though.

If you fill in your profile with your vehicle info and location it will help others help you in the future. Also I believe there are some other 460 owners in Alberta, I've seen the location on this or the Pointed Three forum before.

Welcome to the G world!
Jonathan

kmaser

Post#3 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:33 am

Welcome to the G world, There are several others in Alberta and definitely some other 460's in Calgary and some early 463 300GD's also. I have a swb 280GE and I'm in Medicine Hat, Carlos from over on the P3 forum has a SWB 230GE and he was in the process of putting a ssang yong diesel into it but haven't heard from him in quite a while. I am also wondering what size tires you have and you current gearing, you most likely have 4:88's and with bigger tires you probably wouldn't like it with higher gearing.

Kurtis

Gelande

Post#4 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:15 am

Are you running a 33" tire ?

That should be the largest without lift you can fit. Each inch larger is about 7% more speed/top end, and 7% less torque.

Most likely given these numbers, he has a 5.33 or 5.88 diff, which was put on a quite a lot of the diesel W460s. You can check the small tags that are riveted to the axle case, just to the side of the differential.

The one on the front axle faces frontwards, the one on the rear faces back.

Let us know what it says on those two tags.

Return to “Tech: Differentials and Lockers”