Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

noise with engaging locks

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
dogsledder

noise with engaging locks

Post#1 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:11 pm

I am a new owner of a 2004 G 500. When I engage the differential locks by pushing the dash buttons in correct order there is a quiet humming noise that starts after the center button is engaged, continues through the rear and front lock engagement and stops when I disengage all locks. The noise seems to becoming from lower dash, transmission area. All the locks engage and disengage with no problem. Is this normal?

jonathan joseph

Re: noise with engaging locks

Post#2 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:33 pm

I'm no expert on the new locker system but I do know that it is a combo vacuum/hydraulic system with a vacuum pump and reservoir. I assume what you hear is possibly this vacumm being built by the pump and distributed to the front and rear intensifiers. The center diff is solely vacuum actuated whereas the front and rear use vacuum to drive hydraulic intensifiers. If they are engaging well then I think your probably ok. Others will chime in with more expert opinions.

Jonathan

Gelande

Re: noise with engaging locks

Post#3 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:29 am

Thanks Dutch, that's correct, and yes this is normal, and it will remain going while you have the center locked, no worries you can run it like that all day long if you want. It is with this vacuum that the diffs are engaged.

Return to “Tech: Differentials and Lockers”