Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

300GD / 300SD Transmission Output Shaft Nut Socket Size?

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
blueg

Re: 300GD / 300SD Transmission Output Shaft Nut Socket Size?

Post#11 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:01 am

No kidding. I paid $17 Trudeau for one socket.
I guess your prices Trump ours. EH?
Lifetime warranty doesn't mean your lifetime. It's the lifetime of the company that gave you the warranty.

blueg

Post#12 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:12 am

WSMC511 wrote:Until I can afford to rebuild the G auto box I will be using an auto box from my 85 SD. Can someone please help me identify the nut or socket size for the following:

1985 300 SD Transmission

1984 300GD Transmission

Thanks,

Johnny

Johnny.
Looking deeper into this specified transmission business.
I believe the first three markings on the transmissions eg: 460 or 123 are only there for factory assembly benefit so that forklift drivers knew what skid of transmission went into which assembly area or to another plant to make the G.
Too many critical parts are the same. Most difference I have found is the output flanges to accept the G's short driveshaft to TC.
The sedans were as heavy as the G just didn't have as much open space. Sedan had seating for 5 adults and a trunk big enough to put 2 more in for the drive-in.
Sedan trunk weight is also farther out over rear axle as is engine weight farther out over front axle.
It would not shock me if that SD transmission with proper care and normal operation didn't shock us all by lasting as long as a rebuilt G specific transmission.

blueg

Post#13 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:49 am

vadimivanovich wrote:For $25 you can buy a whole set of deep 12-point 1/2" sockets at Horrible Fright with a lifetime warranty. I have yet to break one.

Vadim. You just need a longer pipe on the breaker bar.
Impact (black) sockets stand up. I turned a half inch breaker bar into a corner reach around before the universal shattered.
Mastercraft with lifetime warranty but I keep it in my "special" tool tray.

Return to “Tech: Transmission and Transfer Case”